Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rasmiyyah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Bubbling Toilet
    For the past few months our toilet bubbles. It started when we would use the washer now it happens whenever any water is running. Our landlord came out during July and supposedly fixed the problem. He thought the house had a septic tank but realized it didn't. We are connected to the city sewer. Whenever we have any water running in the house whether it is the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, or tub, or washer the toilet bubbles (it has been doing this since Sunday 10/1/06 non stop before then it would do it periodically) and the toilet has not completely flushed since Sunday. When we flush, the toilet bowl begins to flush but then the bowl fills up to the top of the lid with water, and then it slowly drains but the waste stays in the bowl. I believe our landlord worked on the plumbing himself before we moved in the house in June. I believe the house was built in the 50s. I don't believe there has ever been a plumber to check on it. Reading other post most people say their toilet bubbles when another toilet is flushed but we live in a single family home with one toilet. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed? Also, our ice machine in the fridge is no longer making ice. I believe it hasn't been working since about Sunday as well. Could this be connected to the toilet problem? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2006, 07:35 PM
    You have a blockage down stream of the toilet. Let me tell you about bubble and gurgles. "Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They are both indicters that something's going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. Let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe until it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble" of air ahead of it causing your toilet to bubble. When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your toilet. The bubbles that you see is the air being pushed back through the toilets trap. The solution is to snake from the lavatory roof vent. Put out onough cable to bet to the base and about 20 feet more. First clear the drain and then if the toilet still flushes slow click on back. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbling [ 1 Answers ]

I Just purchased a 55 year old house. The upstairs toilet bowl was empty for some reason but the tank was full. This toilet was disgusting so I replaced it. I have noticed that when I flush this new toilet on the upper floor a large air bubble comes out of the toilet bowl in the toilet in the...

Bubbling toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We have a super capacity washing machine and when it goes through the spin cycle the toilet bubbles in. When the cyle is finished the water level is lower than when the wash started. The first flush after the wash is finished is slow, is then it goes back to working great. Any...

Bubbling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a two story apartment. I noticed that when the people above flush their toilet, I can hear the water run down and my toilet bubbles up. This sometimes throws out a little bit of water. The apartment complex has had plumbers come out twice, but I still have the same problem. Any...

Bubbling from toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single story slab home. Washing machine in attached garage. Two bathrooms with the toilets backed up to each other on the same wall. Also city sewer. I notice every 3-6 months, I'll notice 2 problems, not necessarily at the same time. 1.) I'll wake up and notice that my bathtub is...

Bubbling Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. For the past couple of months, we've noticed that when we flush the toilet upstairs, water bubbles up in the toilet in the basement. In fact, it is so explosive sometimes that water hits the closed lid. The home was built in the 60s and the basement toilet was added in the 70s. This problem...

View more questions Search