Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stuckonstupid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 05:34 PM
    MTD rear wheel removal
    I have a 18 horse MTD Lawn tractor about 15 years old. I need to remove the rear wheel to change the tire. I have removed the cotter pin from the axel and the washer, but I can't get it to come off. It appears that they're may be a key pin of some sort on the axel. I don't have the model number I am sorry. Can some help please?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
    Very hard to remove, saturate in a penetrant and if able keep doing it. I have had to at times heat hub to red hot and douse with Ice water this will work if all else fails.

No clips just father time and corrosion
    Don
    bhock Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckonstupid
    I have a 18 horse MTD Lawn tractor about 15 years old. I need to remove the rear wheel to change the tire. I have removed the cotter pin from the axel and the washer, but I can't get it to come off. It appears that they're may be a key pin of some sort on the axel. I dont have the model number I am sorry. Can some help please?
    May be a square key in the key slot on the axle. I have asked question on how to remove from such a setup todayy Watch for answer. bhock
    robomow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 04:01 AM
    I had the same problem remove the tyre on the mower it can be done but its not easy
    ribbit Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 02:47 PM

Have same problem. Is it a press-fit? Do I need a wheel puller? Or can I just whack it?

I see that robomow suggested removing the tire while still on the tractor. I did think of that, too. I want to install a tube with wheel still on the tractor. Any ideas on how to break the bead and get one side of the tire off?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2009, 04:31 PM

The original post is 2 years old so I hope he got his wheel off by now. Jack up both rear tires and then put your feet againist the frame on each side of the wheel, grab the tire with both hands and pull toward you while a helper smacks the axle with a mallet, helps to cover the axle end with a piece of oak. Soaking with Liquid Wrench or WD 40 in advance help too.

May 14, 2009, 06:03 PM

Hi Ballengerb1,
    Your answer sounds workable and I will try it. But just one question. Where do you hit the axle? I removed the 1/2" bolt that screwed into the axle end. Now I can see the axle end. It is flush with the wheel. Is that where I should hit it? I'll be hitting both the wheel and the axle if I do.
    Or are you talking about hitting the far end of the axle -- at the other wheel?
    Please explain.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2009, 07:50 PM

Screw the bolt back in half way, then hit the bolt head.

May 15, 2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks ballengerb1. I'll give it a try.

If I knew how I'd give you a rating of 200%, split 50-50 for the two anwers to my questions.
    markwk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 02:50 PM
    ribbit! Thank you! Been trying for 3 week to get my yardman wheel off and the comment to put the bolt half way in and hit it with a hammer was sensational! It really works. I got it 3/4 way off that way. Then I took an old wooden bat and put the end of the barrel against the back side of the rim and hit it with a sledgehammer. Wahlah. Off came the rim. Thank you!
    markwk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 02:52 PM

ballengerb1. I mean thank you! Lol.
    checker4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 04:45 PM
    Same problem with my 15 yr old MTD. Still trying to get the rear rim off. Question.. if u hit the bolt wouldn't that have a chance of striping the threads?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cub cadet steering wheel removal [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if any one knew how to remove a steering wheel from a 1200 cub cadet. We are having problems getting it off. Please help

Cub Cadet Wheel Removal [ 4 Answers ]

The rim on my Cub Cadet 1225 Garden Tractor is slightly bent, and I'd like to remove it and get a replacement. I've taken off a plastic hub cover, removed a bolt, and metal sleve, and it appears that is all that is holding it on. When I try to pull the wheel off, it still doesn't budge. Am I...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

Rear draining toilet 2 [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet is a regular style toilet, not a wall mount. The only difference is that instead of the bowl connecting to the flange on the bottom, the hook up is through a 3" framed pipe out the back of the toilet about 8-10" off the floor. It has a regular style tank above the toilet. Not...

View more questions Search