Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PMCGRAIL Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Adding a washing machine to a sink drain
    I want to put a washing machine in my kitchen and tap into the drain under the kitchen sink. The existing drain is 2'' pvc. Should I add a y connection before the p trap for the sink and not have a p trap for the at the bottom of the standpipe for the washing machine or should I connect into the existing drain where it runs horizontally after the sink p trap and have a p trap at the bottom of the washer standpipe?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 08:32 AM
    PMCGRAIL:

You want to hook in after the sink ptrap and vent... ;) Here, you will want to cut into the pipe and add a 2" wye fitting to pick up the washing machine drain.

Install a 2" PTRAP at the washing machine, a mechanical vent (AAV) and a standpipe about 30" tall if possible....see picture below. The AAV is required so that the washing machine PTRAP doesn't get siphoned when the kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher drain past the connection for the new washing machine drain.

AAVS are sold at all home improvement stores...see picture. You will need an 1.5" threaded female adapter and some pipe dope to install the AAV into the PVC. This also suggests that you will need to reduce the 2" pipe using a 2"x1.5" PVC coupling and then install an 1.5" STREET female adapter for the AAV and you won't need to buy any 1.5" pipe... ;)

I also included a 2" dandy cleanout (also called a test tee) in the drain line. These are always a good idea... just in case. The cleanout at the PTRAP is a requirement where I come from.. in case something gets caught at the trap itself... although almost never happens with PVC.

Let me know if you have more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

May 14, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Thanks fro the reply Mark

The only problem I see is I can only connect to the horizontal pipe right after the sink p trap. The horizontal pipe goes into a wall and I don't know where the vent stack is for that drain. I know it doesn't go straight up because it is under a window and there is only one vent going through the foor for the bathroom and the kitchen. I am also on the 3rd floor of a condo. Can I connect into the horizontal drain pipe before it goes into the wall but afterr the sink p trap?

May 14, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Something like this
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 11:06 AM

I'll jump in : In this case, connect into 2" horizontal pipe after sink's p-trap. Install AAV vent. Yours revised drawing looks fine...

I undertand you don't have too many options to connect to. But please, be aware that you are connecting sink drain ( most dirtiest drain in house ) to washer drain ( drain with most rapid volume discharge ). I would suggest to install a lint sock on your washer stand pipe and be judicious in using garbage disposer. If you use GD a lot, than make sure you flush it with lot of water after each use.

May 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Luckily there is no garbage disposal, Can I use a tee connector in place of the Wye, I have very limited space and would need to have a couple of 90 degree bends and a 45 to the wye? A tee would need on 2 90'S
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 11:34 AM

You need a fitting that will transfer water to your kitchen sink drain as fast at possible. Y fitting is that fitting. T fitting will slow water flow, making it to back up into your stand pipe and eventually overflow it.

It is easy, and cheap , to rework your kitchen drain under the sink to accommodate new T.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Hi guys:

I'm never really sure how to advise in these cases.

The fact is that this is a condo... many rules usually apply. Most condos require that permits be pulled for any work performed inside the building... otherwise you can be found liable for damages that result from say... washing machine overflowing as an example. Then, to install this against code... connecting into kitchen sink drain before the vent... hmmm... like I said... don't really know how to advise when this happens.

I would really prefer to see PMCGRAIL find the horizontal pipe and connect into that after the sink vent... a plumbing inspector would certainly make him.. ;)

Up to you... I just wanted to be clear that the way you drew it is illegal. It will work, I'm sure... but not right!

Either way... use SS braided hoses and be sure to install a single lever shutoff for the water and actually use it after each load (why they make these valves). That should reduce most of the chances that you will have any mishaps...

Anyway... just my thoughts all...

MARK
    Timothy2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
    I am trying to hook up the drain from my washing machine not the drain of my bathroom sink, the drain for the sink goes into the wall after the U joint could you please advise me as the best way. I am also trying to hook the water to the washer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting washing machine hose to sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new Maytag washer and dryer. The serviceman could not connect the drain hose to my laundry sink drain because the hose end and the sink drain end are exactly the same size. He said that he did not have a "hose connector" to accommodate the 2 hoses. He told me to get one at the...

Moving washing machine in basement and adding sink [ 17 Answers ]

I've attached an image to describe the current layout as best I can. The above half is the current setup. The washing machine is connected by a gray flexible hose. At the connection point, that vertical section if pipe is about 2' long. It then elbows 90 degrees to the long horizontal run. ...

Adding drain for washing machine - do I need a pea trap and vent? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 2 new washers and dryers on each floor in our two flat in a kitchen pantry (the building is 120 year old frame building.) We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the...

Adding new utility tub and washing machine drain [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have my washing machine running into the floor drain in my basement. I would like to add a utility tub, and a washing machine drain pipe. About 16' away there is a drain line from the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. This line is ABS, and has a 1 1/2" cleanout with threaded cap. ...

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

View more questions Search