Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fb48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Dirty hot water from tub faucet; all others OK
    Hi, I hope you'll be able to help with this query. I have an electric hot water system in my apartment. The water from the hot water faucet in the tub is dirty brown, but from all other hot water faucets the water is clear. What might be causing this and what do you suggest I do about it? Thanks very much.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2009, 06:37 PM

Somehwrer in your supply line you have an old galvanized supply pipe that feeds the tub but not other fixtures. Unless you own this unit the problem belongs to the property owner and you should not try to fix it.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 13, 2009, 07:16 PM

Does the water only come out brown when you turn it on and then clear up? It is possible that the tub spout nipple is black iron(very, very wrong), but I've seen it numerous times.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 02:15 AM

MGD77: very good answer based on experience. They don't teach you this one in trade school. Tried to rate your answer - but the system would not allowed me to...
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks Milo.

May 14, 2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks gentlemen for your help. I do own the apartment (well, one wall, the rest is owned by the bank). I have tenants in there now and am going to see them this weekend to see the extent of the problem. Will let you know if the water starts dirty and then clears. Thanks again.

May 14, 2009, 08:05 PM

An old galvanized bib somewhere or a black pipe bib would do the same thig, produce a short burst or brownish yellow water.

May 17, 2009, 05:35 PM

G'day. Hope you had a good weekend. I've now checked whether the water in the tub runs clear after a while. Yes it does. Does this change your diagnosis, or do you still reckon it's an old galvanized pipe or spout/bib (which does look like it could be chrome-plated iron or maybe brass). Thanks guys.

May 17, 2009, 06:50 PM

The most likely culpret of this can't be seen. Is a bib inside the wall, maybe your chrome spout is screwe3d directly to it. Remove the spout, they are connected one of two ways. Inspect the next pipe inside the wall after the spout, do you see any rust? If not sure how to remove a spout just tell us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirty well water [ 5 Answers ]

We are on a well system. We have a water softner. Right now the cold water is coming out of the spicket brown. The hot water is not as bad, however, black water comes out in spurts. Is this a problem or something that works out? We have had occasional brown water but it usually clears up. ...

Dirty water issues / hot water heater? [ 23 Answers ]

Hi all. This is my first post ever here. In short, my water is not clear. The hot water is much worse but I notice that the cold water isn't perfectly clear either. When I pour a glass of hot water it almost looks white while it settles down. When I pour cold water into a glass it is not...

Dirty water out of a new bathroom faucet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm new, and soliciting for any advice someone can give. I recently replaced 2 of my bathroom faucets. One works great. The other seems to have dirty water run out of it for a couple seconds when it sits for 8 hours or so. I have tried these items. 1.disconnected the water...

Water suppressor needed on lavatory faucet and shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

Are water suppressors needed in the bathroom sink faucet and the shower stub out also? And can you just use a length of pipe on a T, or must you use those copper chambers? (cpvc system) thanks

View more questions Search