Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PurePitsKennel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
    How do I know if my pit bull is purebreed?
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I bought a brindle colored pit bull about 8 months ago and I am unsure if he is purebreed. How can I tell if he is a pure breed? I saw the Sire of my dog but not the Dam. The breeder that I bought him from said that he bred it with one of his friends dogs out of town.I hope to hear from some of you soon... :D
    P.S.-(He is about 8 months old in the pictures)
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 01:14 PM

Hi, Pure, yes, lovely dog but doesn't look quite a pit bull. Pit bulls are shorter in the body and stocky, your dog is not. Your dog is long and his head isn't quite right.

Aside from a DNA test to determine breed, I don't know what else you can. DNA testing for dogs is expensive.

If this fellow said your dog was pure pit, then you have to demand to see the dam, and I don't quite see how he can allow this to a happen.

Does it matter, really. It is up to you. Just my opinion.

Regards

Tick
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 01:32 PM

Without registration papers saying he is an American Pitbull Terrier, you will not know. Even then, especially with that breed, that's still not 100%.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 10, 2009, 01:57 PM

Whatever he is he's adorable. Love him for what his is, not what he might be. :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 10, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Does his bloodline matter? He looks healthy and happy, and unless you want to become a breeder, he looks good.
    PurePitsKennel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hi, Pure, yes, lovely dog but doesnt look quite a pit bull. Pit bulls are shorter in the body and stocky, your dog is not. Your dog is long and his head isnt quite right.

Aside from a DNA test to determine breed, I dont know what else you can. DNA testing for dogs is expensive.

If this fellow said your dog was pure pit, then you have to demand to see the dam, and i dont quite see how he can allow this to a happen.

Does it matter, really. it is up to you. Just my opinion.

regards

tick
    hi and thank you for responding. Yes I will have to see the Dam to determine whether or not if he is purebred. But he isn't really tall at all and he is 10 months already. I guess the picture presents him taller than what he really is. :).
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 10, 2009, 11:32 PM

With pitt bulls there are so many similar breeds that are so often mistaken for pitt bulls such as Staffordshire's it really can be difficult to try and I.D. a purebred dog by eye. Like everyone else has told you, without papers and a pedigree or DNA testing there really is no way to say for certain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bull Ban [ 56 Answers ]

What counties ban Pit Bulls in the State of Florida? Thanks for answering.:)

Bull Mastif / Staffordshire Bull Terrier Under Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My dog is half Bull Mastiff and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and has a good appetite but it doesn't seem to matter much we feed him he still looks underweight, we've also had him wormed and the vets say that he is in very good shape and that the weight will come. He is 7 months and very big in...

Bull Dog [ 12 Answers ]

My Bull Dog has little pea size bumps all over her. Any one no what this could be is it common in Bull Breed? She also has cherry eye any one familure with this? My daughter brought her home from the barn where we board our horse, She was abussed and neglected.

Pit Bull Ban [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Ban's on pit bulls in the US! Is there a list of citys and states that have a ban on Pit Bulls? I have a pit bull mix and she is my best friend and the best dog I have ever had! Were looking at moving some time in the near future and I will not live in a place where...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

View more questions Search