Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bambi3365 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Period that lasts too long
    I have had my current period for almost two weeks now. It started heavy and it is getting lighter but it is still longer than it's ever been.

I'm not having any pain - it feels like a normal period except for the length of time. This is the first time it's happened. I'm wondering if it is my body's way of preparing for menopause. I'm 42 years old and been in good health.

I currently don't have insurance but should in a month or two when I'm picked up permanently. Is it okay to wait until I can afford to see a doctor?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Longer and heavier periods are apparently pretty common in "perimenopause" which is the long period before you stop having periods at all. Perimenopause can last ten years or so. Menopause apparently is defined after the fact, whenever you haven't had a period for a full 12 months. If you are having mid cycle bleeding, you should see a doctor. But I personally would wait a couple of months, not go after just one weird period. (I've now been having them for 10 years and everything is fine.) Have you taken any antibiotics or antifungals? Other drugs? Some of them can cause mid cycle bleeding or changes in menstruation.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Glad to help!

Another thought. Any possibility that you could have been pregnant? When I was trying to have my two kids, I noticed that I kept have periods that were a few days late and unusually heavy. My doctor said they were probably pregnancies that self aborted because something was wrong. These spontaneous abortions are really common, something like half of all pregnancies end this way. Most people don't even notice it happened because the person is basically pregnant for 2 weeks or even less. Anyway, a spontaneous abortion could also give you an unusual period. Again, nothing to worry about (well, I should say, depending on your plans :) ).

But, yeah, I wouldn't worry.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I got your message but can't answer back as your account doesn't seem to accept emails. I hesitate to play the expert. I can only tell you what I'd do. I'm about ten years older than you. I'd feel fine about waiting until I had the insurance, a couple of months, maybe longer, depending on how the symptoms go. If your period gets longer, or other things change, I'd go in two months. It doesn't sound like a big deal to me at all at this point.

I probably would not do anything. I would mention it next time I went in for a yearly appointment with my ob-gyn (which I'm 3 months late for!). You probably should start having annuals if you aren't already. If you are worried about uterine cancer, that's a tough one, few obvious symptoms. Things like bloating, which I used to get every month myself. But doctors can do ultrasound now and tell pretty quickly if there are any abnormalities. So I myself would not worry... a good doctor should be able to rule that out quickly if you are concerned.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jul 6, 2007, 10:59 AM
    You may as well wait, once this period ends your dr would probably want to see what your next couple of periods are like anyway so you might just as well wait and keep a diary yourself. Of course any pain or anything unusual and its best to get checked as soon as you can, but a month or so isn't likely to make a huge difference if you have no unusual pain. You never know the next one might be perfectly normal anyway!
    bhairless Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambi3365 View Post
    I have had my current period for almost two weeks now. It started out heavy and it is getting lighter but it is still longer than it's ever been.

I'm not having any pain - it feels like a normal period except for the length of time. This is the first time it's happened. I'm wondering if it is my body's way of preparing for menopause. I'm 42 years old and been in good health.

I currently don't have insurance but should in a month or two when I'm picked up permanently. Is it okay to wait until I can afford to see a doctor?
    Hello Bambi, I'm 47yrs old and I had a period that lasted 30 days, I said this is not normal! Well, here it is 28-30days later, I have my period again! So, if it last more than seven days I will go to my doctor and ask for a biopsy, and or an Ultra Sound. Hopefully this will stop and I will go into Menopause! By the way I am taking Iron vitamins! Good luck to you. If I hear differently I'll let you know. Take care.
    Army_Baby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
    I came here kind of looking for an answer... I'm 19 and my periods usually last about a week.. but my current one has lasted 2 so far and it's still going and it's been heavy the whole time. No cramps, no pain, but I'm so worried... I don't know why it's so long and where does it all come from? Is it going to cause problems? Idk what to do... and I have another work weekend coming up.. tomorrow I work from 6am to 10:30pm and Sunday is the same. My work already wears me out without problems.. always on my feet and rarely have time to even have my lunch break lol... don't need more problems and this is scary.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
    HI Army_Baby... welcome to AMHD,

Occasionally periods can just be off, with less bleeding or more bleeding, but if irregular bleeding continues, it is best to see your doctor for an exam. There can be a number of possible causes for irregular bleeding. Most are easily managed.

If you continue with the same amount of bleeding, such as a couple of tampons or pads a day, over the next several days, make an appointment with your gyn. How heavy is heavy?
    jkayt99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Also came here for an answer... Mine started really light like someone losing a muscus plug before giving birth. Then it got red but not enough to get on a pad only when wiping after going to bathroom. But now for the past 5 days I get gushes and it is a deep red color with clots... Kind of weird. I was wondering about the perimenopause thing because I am 44 and I know my mom went through it early... Just concerned about blood loss...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I REALLY need to know how long a suntan lasts on fair skin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have fair skin and about 7 months ago I went to Egypt and got really badly sunburned. It turned into a tan in a couple of weeks and 7 months later, it's still there! I want to know how long it will take to go away because it hasn't seemed to have faded at all and I have kept completely...

Vicodin, and how long it lasts in your system? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother in law is taking his CDL in a few days. He was purscribed Vicadon for a shoulder injury a few months ago. Latley his shoulder has been bothering him serverly but he doesn't want to take a vicodin for it because he doesn't know how long it stays in your system. If he passes his CDL, he...

Long period [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've been on my period for 5 weeks now its stops when I'm totally resting but as soon as I get up and walk or do anything it starts again I'm 22 with to young kids should I be worried?

Long period [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my period for 15 days. What could this mean?

Very, very long period! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 16, and I got my period about 4 yrs ago. It evened out after a year or two, and was, on average, about 7 days long. About a year ago I went vegetarian, and in the span of six months skipped about 3 periods... After that, things seemed back to normal, for a while. About 3-4 months ago,...

View more questions Search