Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tiffsue73 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Hi, I am lost at what to do. Early this week when running water, especially the shower after a few minutes the water pressure would go way down. After letting it off and let it sit the pressure would come back but only for a short time. Got worse as the week went on until we never got full pressure.
    Talked to someone about the pressure tank they said it was bad and came and replaced it, full water pressure when they left but said the tank was filling slow and to flush the well with chlorine and vinegar and let sit overnight then flush next day. Well about an hour after they left checked the pressure again and sure enough it still wasn't holding. Going down to 5-10 psi when water on. Back up to about 22 when water is off. Won't even kick on to get the 30psi minimum. But when I turn the well off and wait a couple minutes and turn it back on the pressure surges up to 40 quite quickly but then just drops back down again within a couple minutes or less to 20psi. Can't get a hold of anyone as it is a Saturday! HELP! I appreciate any information. Thank you, Tiffany

The well is in the ground and no the pressure doesn't hold any higher than 22. Holds there. When the breaker is turned on after the pump have been off for a minute the water comes in and goes to 40 then drops again to 22 quickly. Thanks!

OH misunderstood question at first. The well pump is actually in the well in the ground. But when I turn the breaker on I can here the water rush in.

With no water being used the pressure holds at about 22 psi. Doesn't drop from here unless water is turned on somewhere then goes to 5 or 10 and slow slow pressure. After water turned off it gradually builds to 22 psi again. Only goes higher briefly if breaker is turned off so well pump is off and when turned back on it goes about 40 then drops quickly again to 22.

I believe they checked it I wasn't home. It was working fine when they left and then gradually lost pressure again and didn't work right about an hour after they left. Never had problems with lack of water before, and it has been rainy, oh please don't tell me I might need a new well drilled!! That is a bit worrysome... but thanks for your reply.

Is there any chance it could have something to do with the check valve?

Thanks for your answer. I am hoping it is something that can be fixed without drilling a new well! That is a bit scary. I am new to this but have been looking up loads of stuff on internet. What doesn't make sense to me if the gauge goes up to 40psi, and there is water in there why it would fall back down again. Someone said on another forum sometimes the water runs back into the well if check valve is faulty, just a thought?? Thanks again and wish us luck!

Hi, found out the well pump needed replaced and got a new pressure tank too but I really don't think I needed it... another story. We are still having problems as I will ask in another question!! Thanks to all that replied! (Thought it would be easier to ask this in another separate question... )

Hi, I was having problems with water pressure running out to a trickle... well pump was replaced as was the pressure tank. The pressure tank was filling slow(40/60). It does pump up to 60 and pump shuts off correctly. When running shower, pump kicks on at 40 but water coming in can't keep up and pressure gage drops to 24psi and doesn't recover until I turn off shower. Then goes back to 60, again rather slow. (takes maybe 2 minutes? No leaks that I am aware of, holds at 60 with no water running. There is no air or spitting when water is running. If I run kitchen facet (not as much water as shower) drops and holds at 40 but won't raise to 60. The outside hydrants can make it drop to 10 psi but still looks like decent amount of water coming out. I can fill 5 gallon buckets pretty quickly even though pressure gage says 10 and pressure tank not filling up quickly. I am told I may need a new well. If I didn't have water wouldn't it run out and not deliver water at all? I sure don't want a new well drilled if I don't have to!! I am wondering if maybe I have a clog. After the pressure tank was installed they told us to run chlorine down well that maybe a screen was clogged?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. They are coming back tomorrow to run a pump test again to see how many gpm it is pumping. Should be OK since they just replaced it. Thanks again.

OK, I will. But this makes me a nervous wreck thinking we need a new well drilled. I would just think it would be running out of water if it was really low. I am hoping if it is a clog it can be fixed easily. Yeah right, I don't have great luck!!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 03:25 PM

Is your pump above ground or in the well?

One other thing. Once the pump cuts off, and no water is being used, will the pressure hold, or does it drop?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 05:58 PM

With no water being used does the pressure hold at the maximum it reaches or does it reach a max then drop?

Chuck
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 09:04 PM

When u had tank installed ,did they check pressure switch to see if operating correctly?

If pressure tank is set correctly and switch is working right, your well may not have enough water in it.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 09:56 PM

On my well, check valve is part of pump.

How deep is well?

I had similar problem. Did not have to have new well drilled. The fractures feeding water to well had calciamated, restricting water to well.

Had well man plunge well with chorine. Solved my problem. Also helped my neighbor.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 10:17 PM

Does pressure switch shut pump off at 40psi?

Do u know what air pressure in pressure tank is?

If check vale was bad, would let all water out.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 10, 2009, 05:16 AM
    I would definitely take a hard look at the check valve. Chuck asks,
    If check valve was bad, would let all water out.
    Not necessarily. If check valve were spring loaded and the spring broke or lost its strength It could lose part of the pressure before the spring closed the flap. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I would definitely take a hard look at the check valve. Chuck asks,
    Not necessarily. If check valve were spring loaded and the spring broke or lost its strength It could lose part of the pressure before the spring closed the flap. Good luck, Tom
    Thanks Tom

Have to learn at least one thing every day.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Bigger pressure tank or increase pressure? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new home and the builder had installed a 20 gal pressure tank. I have a jet pump system where the motor sits directly on the tank itself. I really notice the pump running a bit,but also notice the loss of pressure quickly, especially in the shower. Now I was thinking of buying a much...

Loss of water pressure w/new pressure tank [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a question involving my plumbing. I was having terrible water pressure and I checked the pressure at the pump itself and it was great. Went to the pressure tank and it was trickling. Shut down power to pump and drained system - checked air pressure and it was not...

Deep well, pressure tank/switch not building pressure [ 13 Answers ]

The only way I have water pressure is to leave the power on! I have replaced the 5 gallon pressure tank (28psi when void of water)/fittings/pressure gauge and tried 3 new 30/50 pressure switches and the problem remains the same. With the power off, the pressure drops to 0 (not 30). When I...

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

View more questions Search