Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HUNTERGATHERER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
    At what age can a child choose which parent they live with
    At what age can a child who's parents have separated choose which parent they live with?
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 6, 2009, 05:49 AM

There is no particular age for most states, it is based on how ligitmate the request is and the child's opinion will not weigh all that heavily if there is no other reason.

A child's opinion counts the most with the court after the age of 12.

Having said that the courts frown heavily on coersing and if there is any sign at all that the child has been coaxed into the request it usually goes badly for the parent influencing the child. It's the equivalent of "parent alienation" I believe that is the term that is being used for it.

Keep in mind that the whole process of a child going through the court to change custody can do irreversible damage to all the relationships involved so be wise.
    HUNTERGATHERER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERGATHERER View Post
    At what age can a child who's parents have separated choose which parent they live with?

Thanks for reply I should have added that I live in the UK
    Gary
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 6, 2009, 10:38 AM

In that case, honestly I have no idea what the law is there, I'm curious to see how it is handled outside of the USA
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERGATHERER View Post
    Thanks for reply I should have added that i live in the UK
    Gary
    Yep its always a good idea to indicate your general location. But I believe the laws in this case are similar. A child cannot decide. A ruling on custody can only be made by a court. What weight the court places on a child's preference will vary, but its up to court to decide what's in the child's best interests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age a child can choose which parent to live with [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I'm a father in Illinois in need of help . My son lives in Minnesota and will be 16 in June. Me and his mother divorced 8 years ago and since have both remarried. During his time in Minnesota he has been in some trouble but nothing involving the police. He has matured a great deal in the last...

What age can kids choose what parent to live with? [ 2 Answers ]

HI. I have 2 step kids who live with their mother in the state of NJ. The kids lived with my boyfriend and I for 1 yr in FL. There was no custody trail and their mother wanted the kids back in NJ. To prevent a bad custody trail, we sent the kids back. Their mother promised them a nice apt in a...

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search