Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GuLLiBLeOnE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Someone has my account number and routing number
    Can someone withdraw money from my account if they have my account number and routing number?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 06:51 PM

Do you mean a person or an institution?

Institutions use that info in order to transfer funds electronically from your account.

As for an individual, they wouldn't just be able to take that info to a bank and pull out money. They would need a check from you saying that you are authorizing a specific amount of money to be given to them.

However, you do want to protect this info from getting into the wrong hands by not leaving your account info laying around that it may be stolen.
    puppylove08 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 08:02 PM

They could potentially purchase something from the internet that allows them to use a bank account. I've seen many sites where you need the account & routing number and bank name. If you are worried, go to your bank and let them know what's going on so they can help protect your account.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:10 PM

Of course anyone you write a check to has those numbers since they are printed on every check you write.

Is it possible, yes ( electric funds transfers) Same way you do electric banking, automatic depoists, automatic payment of bills.
    Miller11 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
    It would probably be a good idea to contact your bank immediately and let them know what's going on. Yes they probably could access your account by walking into your bank, unless your bank requires picture ID. I know with my bank I don't have to show picture Id, I just have to give them my account number. Keep a close eye on all transactions because if someone does access your acct then you'll be responsible for it, unless you can prove otherwise. Good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2009, 04:13 PM

Why do you ask?
    keepitrealx82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 06:57 PM

Everyone you give a check to has you name, routing # and account #. The information is useless unless it is comprised in conjunction with additional identity theft such as social security, driver license. etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Tax And Tax ID Number [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa. I came to USA in Feb'08 along with my wife, she came here on H4B visa. In my pay stub my marital status is coming as married that is correct. My question is that still I haven't applied for Individual Tax Identification Number(ITIN) for my wife. Do I need to get ITIN...

The Number 23 [ 2 Answers ]

In the movie The Number 23 when Fingerling meets Fabrizia, what is the song title that's playing? I can't find it online and it's rather catchy so if anyone knows it please let me know! Thank you so much!

Old girlfriends number on wireless account [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, my boyfriend had a call on the cell phone account, 33 minutes so I checked it out and found it was an old girlfriend from school. He said he saw her sister out and she asked for his cell number. The old girlfriend called him and the chatted 33 min! Anyway I was checking out the bill and...

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

IRS number [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone happen to know a number I can call to report someone to the IRS in New York State? (Broome County)

View more questions Search