Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shopdog1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Briggs engine loping how do I fix this
    I have a 25hp briggs engine. I rebuilt the carburator but the engine still has a lope when running .can someone give me a hand. Shpdog1:confused:
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2009, 01:45 PM

Is the lope there just at idle or at all rpm ranges?

May 3, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazak View Post
    is the lope there just at idle or at all rpm ranges?
    All rpm ranges
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:44 AM

Clean governor parts.

May 5, 2009, 06:32 AM

I ask about a 25 hp briggs and stratton model number 445777.I rebuilt the carburator because it only ran at high rpm with choke pulled.now I can get it to idle but it lopes bad at higher rpms.sure could use some help .shopdog1 in need
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:02 PM

The problems below will cause what your engine is doing. ( runs/ surges/ hunting for an constant Rpm

1. Partial Blockage of Main Jet. This is for bowl type carburetors only. Stop the fuel flow to the carburetor, either turn off the fuel valve or pinch off the line with a pair of fuel line pinch off pliers or a pair of vice grips. With a pan suitable of containing gasoline, loosen the fuel bowl nut and catch the gas. Now remove the bowl nut and the bowl. Blow out the holes in the nut with compressed air or carburetor cleaner. Some Tecumseh carburetors have a tall bowl nut. Some will have a pin hole in the side of the nut, and some will have a pin hole just above the bottom set of threads. This hole must be clear in order for the engine to run properly.

For engines that do not have the jet made in the bowl nut (Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, some Briggs and Strattons, Onan, Wisconsin-Robin) the jet is attached to the center post of the carburetor. Some are cast in and others are screwed in. Blow this hole out and blow up the center post to clean the main nozzle. Use compressed air or carburetor cleaner.

Leaking Intake Gasket. Check for a loose carburetor or manifold connection at the block. All Briggs and Stratton engine 3 to 6.5 HP, check the intake manifold for cracking (may have to remove carburetor) or loose connection at the block. You will need to remove the air shroud to get access to the intake manifold.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:29 PM

On a side note:

Governors are on every single air cooled engine/ lawn mowers/ edgers / generators/ one man augers. Two types, mechanical and pneumatic. Pneumatic governors are powered by an external air vane, mechanical governors are run by a gear and spool assembly inside the engine. How to adjust the mechanical governor on Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh Engines.

Governors should never need adjusting, unless the governor arm is removed or tampered with. But if they do need adjusting, here is how you do it. A rule of thumb is the governor shaft should be turned in the same direction the governor arm turns to open the throttle wide open. For example, on Tecumseh TVS, LEV, TVM, TVXL and other similar engines, the governor arm rocks in the counter clockwise direction to close the throttle to idle.

To adjust the governor, you should loosen the screw on the bottom of the governor arm and push the governor arm so the throttle is wide open. Then you would turn the bottom "clip" (which is connected to the governor shaft) counter clockwise. This will set the governor shaft on top of the governor spool. Now tighten the screw. Check your Governor settings after the rebuild you did.

May 6, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    The problems below will cause what your engine is doing. ( runs/ surges/ hunting for an constant Rpm

1. Partial Blockage of Main Jet. This is for bowl type carburetors only. Stop the fuel flow to the carburetor, either turn off the fuel valve or pinch off the line with a pair of fuel line pinch off pliers or a pair of vice grips. With a pan suitable of containing gasoline, loosen the fuel bowl nut and catch the gas. Now remove the bowl nut and the bowl. Blow out the holes in the nut with compressed air or carburetor cleaner. Some Tecumseh carburetors have a tall bowl nut. Some will have a pin hole in the side of the nut, and some will have a pin hole just above the bottom set of threads. This hole must be clear in order for the engine to run properly.

For engines that do not have the jet made in the bowl nut (Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, some Briggs and Strattons, Onan, Wisconsin-Robin) the jet is attached to the center post of the carburetor. Some are cast in and others are screwed in. Blow this hole out and blow up the center post to clean the main nozzle. Use compressed air or carburetor cleaner.

Leaking Intake Gasket. Check for a loose carburetor or manifold connection at the block. All Briggs and Stratton engine 3 to 6.5 HP, check the intake manifold for cracking (may have to remove carburetor) or loose connection at the block. You will need to remove the air shroud to get access to the intake manifold.
    Thanks 21boat,I will give it a shot,let you know how it goes. shopdog1,if it works you get a 10 from shodog1
    huntaholic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
    I have a briggs and straton engine on a generator. I rebuild the carb and the engine was surging (loping) at idel. I changed the carb for a new one and the engine is still loping. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine switch V twin briggs for Briggs intek ohc [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to exchange a 19 hp V Twin into a Craftsman lt 2000 mower. It was originally equipped with a 22 hp Intek V OHC. I am wondering how different the wiring is going to be. Also is this possible? The 19 HP twin is Model 42A777 Type 1236 01. The Intek is Model 407777 Type 0174 E1 Thank...

12.5 briggs&stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs &strattonengine in my ride on lawn mower the battery won't charge when the engine is running

Briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs 23hp on my mower. Many times when I try to start,it tries but doesn't. If I turn engine bach 1/4 turn by had at fan cover it starts fine. The battery is new and fully charged. What could cause this? Thanks

12 HP Briggs engine [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 HP briggs and stratton engine that will start when choked and then only run while between choke and full throttle position. I have cleaned carb. And checked fuel supply. Any Suggestions?

Briggs 12 HP engine drags [ 2 Answers ]

I have a B/S 12 hp 28000 series engine. Rebuilt the engine and now upon trying to start, the engine drags and won't start even on the charger. It doesn't appear to be spinning fast enough so I bench tested the starter. When it spins it sounds real rough (whining sound) Connections are tight,...

View more questions Search