Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ann Anderson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Dishwasher water coming out of vent on sink.
    Hi,

When we turn the dishwasher on, the water starts coming out the vent that's on our sink. It runs all over the counter. This happened once before and a plumber said something was trapped in the line. I can't remember how to attempt to unclog the line. Help??

Ann
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Anderson View Post
    Hi,

When we turn the dishwasher on, the water starts coming out the vent that's on our sink. It runs all over the counter. This happened once before and a plumber said something was trapped in the line. I can't remember how to attempt to unclog the line. Help???

Ann
    That "vent's" called a counter top air gap and we don't install them in my area. Your air gaps clogged in the lower portion. Run a wire down to clear it.
    Also, In the top of an air gap is an insert with two holes. Inside the air gap are two divisions. One division connects to the inflow side of the air gap (from the dishwasher) and the other connects to the outflow side (to the disposal). If the top insert is put in wrong, water will flow from it when the dishwasher empties. For correct operation of the air gap both holes in the insert need to be positioned over the outflow division of the air gap.
    In case you ever want to do away with that pesky counter top air gap and install a high loop Air gap.(see image) I'llbe more then happy to help.
    Note: In all the hundreds of high loop air gaps that my company's installed we have yet to get our first complaint or service call. This holds true in the high loops that we have advised installing on The Plumbing Page right here.
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 1, 2009, 12:20 AM

Tom is right on the money: either your 7/ 8" discharge hose is clogged or the inlet into garbage disposer.

The 7/8" hose connects Air Gap and Garbage Disposr. Water flows down to G/D by gravity. Any small food particle lodged in that section of the house will cause overflow through air gap.

You may have to remove the hose and clean it if the wire option fails. Not a big deal to do.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 07:06 AM

Tom and Milo are both the experts and I agree with both of them, Tom's method works fine if it is allowed by the code in your area, the best way for you now is as Milo says to disconnect the hose between the Airgap and G/D clean and install, Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install dishwasher vent in a ceramic/porcelain sink [ 42 Answers ]

I have an IKEA farmhouse style white ceramic sink it is the "DOMSJO" double bowl model. The sink only came with one opening for the combo hot and cold water faucet and this is installed okay. My problem is now with the dishwasher drain line. I live in California and I believe code requires an air...

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Dishwasher/sink vent? [ 1 Answers ]

My dishwasher has recently started gurgling when draining. It's been brought to my attention that my sink and dishwasher do not have a vent. How hard are these to install?

Dishwasher sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am installing a new sink and facuet. Do I need to have a dishwasher sink vent in order for my dishwasher to work? Thanks

View more questions Search