Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johan316 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 02:59 AM
    High eosinophils count
    Hi,

I am new to this forum, would appreciate any help, I had done a CBC Blood Test, most of it was normal, accept that I had a high eosinophils count, which was deemed insignificant by my doctor, I get up every night hungry at around 2-4 in early morning, really hungry, I do weight training 5 times a week so my doc says that maybe I am not getting enough calories in.. This I don't really buy, my hemoglobin count is normal and so is my sugar count.
    This has been happening for about 18 months now with increasing intensity.. any ideas?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 03:43 AM

Eosinophils is a high white blood cell count explained by the following. It may mean you have had, or have a low grade infection that your body is fighting (cold, flu) and is producing more of these cells to fight it. That is what our body does.

You don't say why you went to the doctor but am assuming it is the problem you surmise of waking up in the middle of the night hungry. You say you work out five days a week, which I find excessive, 3 times a week is plenty for healthy people. Your doctor states you are not getting enough calories in and I tend to agree with him. The same has happened to me from time to time.
    I know my body and I know when I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, it is because I have not eaten enough and have been very active the day before.

You don't say you have any health issues, or exactly why your doctor gave you the blood work up.

Just go with what your body is telling you. Appease the hunger and have a light snack when you wake up hungry. Simple and no harm done. Or, get a second opinion from another doctor.

Ms tickle

Apr 29, 2009, 03:56 AM
    Thank you for your reply,

Well I did a routine blood check and these were the results, I suffer from Migraine as well and am on medication for that.. I have been working out for 10 years now, but it's the last 18 months which has been a bother, reason why I feel its not calorie related cause I used to eat much lesser before and never felt any hunger pangs, but now, at times I have had monster dinner meals say 1500 cals ( burgers, pizza et al )! And still wake up, I weigh in around 175 pounds , I need 2800 cals per day , I get in around 2500, so its not really a huge deficit right?

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Eosinophils is a high white blood cell count explained by the following. it may mean you have had, or have a low grade infection that your body is fighting (cold, flu) and is producing more of these cells to fight it. That is what our body does.

You dont say why you went to the doctor but am assuming it is the problem you surmise of waking up in the middle of the night hungry. You say you work out five days a week, which I find excessive, 3 times a week is plenty for healthy people. Your doctor states you are not getting enough calories in and I tend to agree with him. The same has happened to me from time to time.
    I know my body and I know when I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, it is because I have not eaten enough and have been very active the day before.

You dont say you have any health issues, or exactly why your doctor gave you the blood work up.

Just go with what your body is telling you. Appease the hunger and have a light snack when you wake up hungry. Simple and no harm done. Or, get a second opinion from another doctor.

ms tickle
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 05:09 AM

No, not a huge deficit. Was urine work included in your blood test ? Did your doctor address the high white blood cell count ? This, as I said, usually signifies some kind of infection in the body.

Johan, you need a second opinion. We can't diaganose here and we don't really know what the contributing factors are.

Tick

Apr 29, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Yes , urine was included which was normal, but I opted not to give a stool test, which I feel was a mistake, what type of doctor should I see for this ?

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    No, not a huge deficit. Was urine work included in your blood test ? Did your doctor address the high white blood cell count ? This, as I said, usually signifies some kind of infection in the body.

johan, you need a second opinion. We can't diaganose here and we dont really know what the contributing factors are.

tick
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 08:59 AM

The doctor you went to can give you a requisition for a stool sample.

Tick
    mesing2u Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 07:57 PM

Hi,
    If I remember correctly a high eosinophil count can indicate parasites... don't get alarmed but you may want to mention that to the doctor. I know most doctors want to ignore it because most of us do have intestinal parasites... however, if it is affecting you like this than they can give you medication to get rid of any. Hope this helps
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Is it possible that you have rheumatoid arthritis; Hodgkins Disease; Addison's Disease?

An increase in eosinophils is called Eosinophilia. Without knowing the particular number of your increase, it is hard to say what is causing this.

Apr 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Yeah the doc did mention parasites, gave me a pill , he said that would be the end of it, but the hunger remains !

Quote Originally Posted by mesing2u View Post
    Hi,
    If i remember correctly a high eosinophil count can indicate parasites.....don't get alarmed but you may want to mention that to the doctor. I know most doctors want to ignore it because most of us do have intestinal parasites....however, if it is affecting you like this than they can give you medication to get rid of any. Hope this helps

Apr 30, 2009, 03:58 PM
    May I ask how long it has been since you were treated with the medication? I'm thinking maybe they weren't totally gotten rid of or else your body is still trying to replace what the parasites "took" from you. They rob you of important vitamins and such... just my thoughts. :)

Quote Originally Posted by johan316 View Post
    yeah the doc did mention parasites, gave me a pill , he said that would be the end of it, but the hunger remains !

May 1, 2009, 10:49 PM
    Its been 18 months since I have started getting this hunger pangs, got treated last month to no effect, the docs don't seem to think its serious..

May I ask how long it has been since you were treated with the medication? I'm thinking maybe they werent totally gotten rid of or else your body is still trying to replace what the parasites "took" from you. They rob you of important vitamins and such.....just my thoughts. :)

May 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
    The only other thing that comes to mind is an ulcer... stomach ulcers can make someone feel hungry all the time when it is actually the pain of the ulcer. Food tends to be like a "bandaid" to the sore. There is also a bacteria named Helicobactor Pylori that a lot of people get and it lives in the stomach lining which can cause ulcers and bad stomach pain as well. It is treated with 2 or 3 months worth of antibiotics and a stomach acid blocker such as prevacid. They are finding out now that this bacteria is the culprit of a lot of stomach problems. It is a simple test that the doctor can do to determine that for you just to check. ( Although I don't think it would account for the high eosinophil count)
    If it were me or my family member I would ask the doctor for a test of the stool to see what if any parasites remain. Also, if there is any blood in the stool from the gastrointestinal tract that would show up also. If you feel like something is wrong just keep being persistent with the doctor, it's your body. :)

its been 18 months since I have started getting this hunger pangs, got treated last month to no effect, the docs don't seem to think its serious..

May 2, 2009, 10:14 PM
    Hey, this is good stuff , thanks a lot , will inquire about this when I meet the doctor, without making him look stupid , thanks once again

The only other thing that comes to mind is an ulcer....stomach ulcers can make someone feel hungry all the time when it is actually the pain of the ulcer. Food tends to be like a "bandaid" to the sore. There is also a bacteria named Helicobactor Pylori that a lot of people get and it lives in the stomach lining which can cause ulcers and bad stomach pain as well. It is treated with 2 or 3 months worth of antibiotics and a stomach acid blocker such as prevacid. They are finding out now that this bacteria is the culprit of a lot of stomach problems. It is a simple test that the doctor can do to determine that for you just to check. ( Although I don't think it would account for the high eosinophil count)
    If it were me or my family member I would ask the doctor for a test of the stool to see what if any parasites remain. Also, if there is any blood in the stool from the gastrointestinal tract that would show up also. If you feel like something is wrong just keep being persistent with the doctor, it's your body. :)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 3, 2009, 07:58 PM

The differential for eosinophilia
    Mnemonic "NAACP"

N eoplastic [cancer]
    A llergy
    A ddisons [ adrenal gland failure]
    C irrhosis , Collagen vascular disease
    P arisites, Polyarteritis Nodosa

---------------------------------------------

I'd simply have the Complete Blood Count repeated to see if the Eosinophil count remains high.

You mention weight training often : some supplements may be the cause?

Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck

G&P

May 3, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Thanks for your reply, I am on Protein poweders that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    The differential for eosinophilia
    mnemonic "NAACP"

N eoplastic [cancer]
    A llergy
    A ddisons [ adrenal gland failure]
    C irrhosis , Collagen vascular disease
    P arisites, Polyarteritis Nodosa

---------------------------------------------

I'd simply have the Complete Blood Count repeated to see if the Eosinophil count remains high.

You mention weight training often : some supplements may be the cause?

Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck

G&P

May 4, 2009, 03:00 PM
    You're very welcome :D
    Hey, this is good stuff , thanks a lot , will inquire bout this when I meet the doctor, without making him look stupid , thanks once again
    sivabakya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2013, 07:00 AM
    I have eosnophils increase in my blood.due to this my skin affected with some rashes.due to this I'm not slept well nowadays because its so itching... what remedy for this.. I have cold problem.how to decrease esonophils in my blood
    Lemund Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
    Hi.. I'm so worried about my eosinophils. Instead of from 0-7 my eosinophils was 14. It was to high. I'm so worried about this. Could anyone can help me? Is there any cure of this.. 3 times , I always repeat my cbc test. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to know the nam of this song emerg its off high school high [ 3 Answers ]

Ok this song isn't on the soundtrack I went through all of them. The song starts when there about to do the chicky run. If you know it please tell me

High Sex Drive, High Fear of Intercourse [ 13 Answers ]

I'm a 19 year old female battling sexual demons from a past relationship. I am now with a compassionate and empathetic boyfriend but I still can't jump the hurdle from my previous experiences. He knows what has happened to me and it doesn't phase him, he just wants me to take it easy and grow...

Liver count exremely high [ 5 Answers ]

My wife has had a liver count for the past two years in the high 900's. She takes the blood tests every six months and no changes. There still high. They have her take vitiams and she takes all sorts of meds. Still no changes. Still high. They say she has no liver problems. Then why is her levels...

What count down [ 2 Answers ]

What was the top ten hits in 1978?

View more questions Search