Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 01:23 PM
    finding the probability
    Assume that male and female births are equally likely and that the birth of any child does not affect the probability of the gender of any other children. Find the probability of at most three boys in ten births.

Please help me I don't get it.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 03:48 PM
    do a simpler ex first.

what's the chance of flipping heads on a quarter? 1 in 2.

what's the chance of doing it again? 1 in 2.

again? 1 in 2.

each event is independent of the others.

but when you consider the odds of doing it three times in a row, its 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

if you talk about 2 births only, you'd say there are 2 outcomes possible for each birth. 2*2 means four overall possible outcomes. Boy/boy... boy/girl... girl/boy... girl/girl

then here, what is the chance of having one boy? 2 in 4.

expand this to three births. 2*2*2 = 8
    b/b/b
    b/b/g
    b/g/b
    g/b/b
    b/g/g
    g/b/g
    g/g/b
    g/g/g

chances here of 2 boys? 3 of 8.

the only issue I have here is for your scenario there is an obnoxious amount of possible combos. 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 1024.

but you also only need to figure out how many times you can get three bs in 10.

b/b/b/g/g/g/g/g/g/g
    b/b/g/b/g/g/g/g/g/g
    b/b/g/g/b/g/g/g/g/g
    b/b/g/g/g/b/g/g/g/g
    b/b/g/g/g/g/b/g/g/g
    b/b/g/g/g/g/g/b/g/g
    b/b/g/g/g/g/g/g/b/g
    b/b/g/g/g/g/g/g/g/b
    b/g/b/b/g/g/g/g/g/g
    etc...

its work but you can do it by hand.

here's the catch. There might be a formula or an easier way to do it than by hand. Buts as its been too long, and I'm not sure where my stats book is, that's all I can do to help. Hopefully someone else will come in with a shortcut. In the meantime, do you see how I was approaching it, with sytematically varying the orders?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Try this approach:

C(10 , 0) = 1 -> 0 boys
    C(10 , 1) = 10 -> 1 boy
    C(10 , 2) = 45 -> 2 boys
    C(10 , 3) = 120 -> 3 boys

[The above values can be calculated by formula, scientific calculator or using Pascal's Triangle.]

P(0) = (1/2)^10
    P(1) = 10(1/2)^10
    P(2) = 45(1/2)^10
    P(3) = 120(1/2)^10

P(at most 3 boys) = (1/2)^10 + 10(1/2)^10 + 45(1/2)^10 + 120(1/2)^10
    = 176(1/2)^10
    = 176(1/1024)
    = 11/64

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probability [ 6 Answers ]

A bowl contains ten chips numbered 1,2,. 10 respectively. Five chips are drawn at random, one at a time, without replacement. What is the probability that 2 even-numbered chips are drawn and they occur on even-numbered draws? I tried (OEOEO) 5/10*5/9*4/8*3/6=5/126 and then I tried all...

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

A contest consists of finding all of the code words that can be formed from the letters in the name "ATARI". Assume that the letter A can be used twice, but the others at most once. a. How many five-letter words can be formed? b. How many two-letter words can be formed? c. How many words...

Probability [ 2 Answers ]

How many ways are there of rolling three 6's with one die, where X is the number of rolls.

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

I have another good probability question that I can't answer. An ordinary six-sided die is rolled 12 times. If X1 is the number of 1's and X2 is the number of 2's and so on, give the probability for: a. P(X1=2, X2=3, X3=1, X4=0, X5=4, X6=2) b. P(X1=X2=X3=X4=X5=X6)

Probability [ 2 Answers ]

A man throws a basket ball in a hoop to win a Kewpie doll. His probability of winning on each throw is 0.1. The man has three children, and he must win a Kewpie doll for each one. What is the probability that 10 throws will be required to win the three dolls? I thought the answer was...

View more questions Search