Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NHENRY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Finding out who owns a property
    I See A Piece Of Property I Am Interested In But No One Knows Who The Owner Is Or How To Find Out If The Property Is In Foreclosure Or What, How Can I Find Out.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Your local Auditor's office has that info and it's public. Some localities, like mine, have this info online for free. Google "_______ county auditor" (insert your county name to see if it's available.

If not, give them a call and they can direct you to who to ask or where to get the info.

That tells you the owner, not the financial status. Generally, learning that is either impossible - or will take much legwork.

Learn who the owners and make him a curb offer (with proper contingencies, like an inspection, of course) on the place.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 22, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Good advice from Rick. Once you have found the owner of reccord, you can access recorded documents for your county. Many places have that info on line. If not you can go to the recorder's office and look up the owner. You can see and recorded Deeds of Trust which will tell you what is owed on the property, Notice of Trustee Sale, Tax Liens etc. etc.
    glaury2002 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Who owns property at 6647 S. St. Lawrence, Chicago, Illinois
    debsav Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Who owns this property #3 rosewood rd sw 30165 in rome Georgia?
    setcourse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
    Who owns this property 664 madison street brooklyn, New York 11221
    setcourse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
    Who owns this property 664 madison street brooklyn, New York 11221
    CinnamonBrownie Posts: 45, Reputation: 13

Oct 31, 2010, 09:37 PM
    I'm a real estate investor and I've had to uncover property owners for years.

There are three main ways to find out who owns a property. They all revolve around locating your local tax collection official (typically called either the county auditor, or the county assessor). #1 is online access, #2 is to call their file room, and #3 is to visit their office in person. That comes from an article on conducting a simple real estate owner search which explains this in more detail.

I hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who owns ! [ 4 Answers ]

How fast can a home sell if the owner falls behind on a few morage payments? And can I still be living in the home that they sold, if its not mine anymore?

I need help finding this movie [ 3 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a child that had live action with actors about a farm and a flood, as well as animation with chickens and some other animals this was a children's movie either in the early 90's or late 80s.

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Property [ 5 Answers ]

I came across a deal in PA which I'm not sure about. The gentleman is about to go belly up and the bank is ready to take the property. He had govt. grants which help him out with the mortgage. The realtor said I could simply take over he's mortgage (under his name) but have the title (ownership) of...

View more questions Search