Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkimbrough Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Smell when washing machine drains
    I recently had the problem of my wash machine overflowing drain pipe plumber recommended putting a fitting on top of drain to prevent water from overflowing and it worked until about a week later when I started smelling sewer smell checked it out and found some standing water under my bathroom on the other side of house (1400 sqft home)this is also the location of the only vent so I checked all fixtures in bathroom no leaks then I noticed smell was very strong when machine was drainig so I know I need to remove the cap but why do I have the smell and standing water (ever heard of this?) and how big should I go with a new drain .I am a electrician by trade so I work around plumbers on job sites and they just scratch their heads when I ask them what to do any help you can give would be greatly appreciated
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Are you on city sewer or a septic tank? Do this, open up the cleanout located just outside your house and cycle the washer. Did the water back up out of the cleanout? Let me know. Tom
    dkimbrough Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 04:55 PM
    I am on city sewer and will have to find cleanout
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dkimbrough
    i am on city sewer and will have to find cleanout

By code we install a house cleanout not over 18" from the foundation and brought up to grade. Unfortunately, over the years this can be covered up by grass and soil. Look for it on the street side of your house.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

Portable Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! I just moved into an apartment in New York that has a laundry room in the basement. As I just had a baby, my wife wanted to have at least a small washing machine in the apartment. As there is no place to connect it and the landlord will not change anything, I was wondering if some kind...

View more questions Search