Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kevlar Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 03:52 AM
    Water heater leaking from bottom of unit
    I have an A.O.Smith 50gal water heater with max psi of 150. This morning I found it leaking from the bottom somewhere inside. It was not very much, but enough that it needed to be vacuumed up. All the water in the house is cold. I assume this unit is about 14 years old. How can I check to see if it needs to be replaced or just repaired?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 10:14 PM
    Kevlar - your hot water tank has out lived its life:: When a hot water tank starts to leaking < and is 14 years old then the tank is rusting from the inside the tank, and a hot water tank can not be repaired <that would be putting a bandaid on it just tempory:: And really be kind of dangerious because of the pressure that is in them while operating :: The only kind of repair that could be done is if one of the heating elements is leaking where they go into the tank or if the plumbing on top of the tank is leaking :: The only way is to {replace the tank with a new one:: Sorry to say sio :: If I have answered your question <please rate my answer in the orange box below :thanks ::have a great day and god bless ::f.b.e.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 03:46 PM

Once the tank starts leaking you should be prepared to replace it immediately as there is no repair for a leaking broken tank.

At 14 years your tank has outlived a lot of tanks and you should be grateful that it lasted you this long.

You need to mitigate any floor damage immediately due to this leaking. One of the best ways to do this is to turn off the intake water valve if the tank has it's own separate shut off valve and drain out the water through the bottom outlet spigot. Then have the unit replaced as soon as possible.

Be sure to properly dry the area that got wet from the leaking unit with a dehumidifier unit as you could very easily had the water leak into your subflooring and cause warping damage to the floor.

Some hot water tanks go bad within a 3-5 year span due to whatever water softener (salt) is used. You must have great water for a tank to have lasted you as long as it did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking from bottom of furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Just noticed today that water is coming out of bottom of furnace. Not much but wondered if anyone knows what it could be. Its an older furnace, just regular kind. Water heater is about 1 foot behind the furnace. I've had the a/c running a lot because of hot weather. Could it have anything to...

Kenmore washer leaking water front/bottom why [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore washer model number 92596100 is leaking water from the front/bottom of machine. How can I fix this? What might be the problem?

Kenmore model 106 leaking water into bottom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model 106 which is leaking water into the bottom of the refrigerator. The ice maker quit working about the same time the water puddling started. I have turned off the water source so I don't believe the puddling is coming from the icemaker.

Furnace water leaking from bottom [ 1 Answers ]

My mom called and thought her hot water heater was broken as there was water all over her basement carpet. A friend went there to help her clean up, and said the water is coming from the bottom of the furnace. It is a natural gas furnace, and the furnace is still working. What is the problem and...

View more questions Search