Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbuchert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Intermatic T104 wiring (simple terms)
    I am trying to wire an Intematic timer model #T104 to my pool pump. I have a black wire, a red wire, and a green (ground) wire. To my pump, I have a black, red and green wire. To my salt converter, I have a black, pink and green wire. In simple terms (please), which wires do I connect to terminals A, 1 (line), 2 (load, 3 (line) and 4 (load) on my timer?
    Thanks
    Dpfiling Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2009, 12:00 AM

The black and red wires are the "hot" wires and the green wire is ground. This switch is a "double-pole, single throw" switch, meaning that it opens and closes both hot wires simultaneously. Connect the black wire from the breaker panel to terminal 1 (line) and the black wire from your pool pump to terminal 2 (load). Connect the red wire from your breaker panel to terminal 3 (line) and the red wire from your pool pump to terminal 4 (load). Having said this, I would double-check the ratings plate on your pump motor to be sure it is 240 volts. It should be fed from a common-trip circuit breaker that disconnects both sides of the line when it is turned off.

Regarding terminal "A": The wiring diagrams provided by Intermatic do not designate what this terminal is for. Without physically examining this timer I cannot specifically say what it is for. However, if you see nothing connected to it internally, you can probably use it for a neutral wire connection.

Since your salt converter has a black, pink, and green wire, I would connect it as follows: black wire on load terminal 2, pink wire to neutral (white) wire, and green to ground. This is a 120 volt connection. If it is 240 volts, connect the pink wire to terminal 4. Make sure you know the voltage before you energize any of this equipment or you could be replacing all of it.

You will notice a green screw terminal on the front of the timer - this is the grounding screw. ALL of the green wires must be connected together and bonded to this screw. You should also have a green wire running from your breaker panel to the pump motor for an electrical ground for the pump. I would install one if none exists. You can never be too safe when working around water - especially a swimming pool - with electricity.

Good luck - I hope this answers your question.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 04:09 AM
    I assume since all you mention is black and read and black and "pink" that both units are 240v, so you do not have to worry about any neutrals.

"A" is not used in your application. This is where the neutral would go if you had a 120v clock motor in the timer. You do not. You can ignore "A".

Quote Originally Posted by Dpfiling View Post
    You should also have a green wire running from your breaker panel to the pump motor for an electrical ground for the pump. I would install one if none exists.
    The ground should be run with the circuit conductors. I would hope no matter how old the installation is there is a correct ground present in the circuit. You can use the same ground from the panel to the clock and then to both loads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Installing wall timer - simple wiring (hopefully) [ 1 Answers ]

Help, I want to install a leviton brand wall timer switch. Currently there is a simple toggle switch in the wall now. In the wall there are only two wires (a white one and a black one). However, the timer that I wish to install was 4 wires coming out of it (a white, black, blue, and green...

Simple Electrical Wiring for Bathroom (2 switches,2 gfi's) [ 8 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a 20 amp breaker in my Bathroom Sub-Panel. On this run I would like to hook up 2 gfi's a switch for the fart fan and a switch for the vanity lights (4 total). My question is how do I wire it. I was thinking from the 20 amp to the first switch (fart fan) connected to the ...

Proper Wiring for Intermatic Timer [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced simple switch that consisted of a hot in and load out to the filter plug (while the remainder of the wires including ground go directly to the plug) with a double pole/single throw timer. The manual switch works, but the actual timer has no power. I simply took the live wire and...

Simple HVAC wiring issue [ 10 Answers ]

I am switching from Honeywell CT87a (subbase Q539A4034) to Honeywell RTH7400 seems simple enough but I am bad when it comes to this sort of stuff. Anyway. I have Red, White, Green, Blue wiring coming out of the wall and have a electric air/heat system. Currently wired to 7400 as R-R W-Y B-W...

View more questions Search