Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fawn 1 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 04:37 AM
    How long before child support?
    I live in Virginia, how long would it take me to get child support. Me and my husband split. He left me for other woman. I need this so I can move out of the house, right now we still live together. So does any one have any advice?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 06:05 AM

Go to the Court in your area which handles these matters and file for support. Nothing can/will happen until you file and there is a Hearing. I've seen emergency hearings scheduled (I'm in NY) within a week.

You need to see an Attorney and file for divorce. Otherwise, if your husband is contributing to your present household, he IS supporting his children.

Apr 21, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Go to the Court in your area which handles these matters and file for support. Nothing can/will happen until you file and there is a Hearing. I've seen emergency hearings scheduled (I'm in NY) within a week.

You need to see an Attorney and file for divorce. Otherwise, if your husband is contributing to your present household, he IS supporting his children.
    Thank you. I don't have the money for a attorney. Is there any advice you could share?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fawn 1 View Post
    Thank you. I don't have the money for a attorney. Is there any advice you could share?
    There is an old saying about being pennywise and pound foolish. Unless a divorce is mutually agreeable between both parties, you can't afford NOT to have an attorney. Things will take longer and you will not get what you want or deserve if you don't.

Try shopping around for an attorney, you may find its not as expensive or they will accept payment plans, or you may even be able to have your husband pay your legal costs.

You should start by going to your local Family court and getting whatever info they provide.

Apr 21, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    There is an old saying about being pennywise and pound foolish. Unless a divorce is mutually agreeable between both parties, you can't afford NOT to have an attorney. Things will take longer and you will not get what you want or deserve if you don't.

Try shopping around for an attorney, you may find its not as expensive or they will accept payment plans, or you may even be able to have your husband pay your legal costs.

You should start by going to your local Family court and getting whatever info they provide.
    He didn't say he did ,but he showed me he did. He split with me for another. Sow I'm putting the ball in to play. Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 08:09 AM

Scott is right - you need to protect yourself and your child (or children). If you do not have the funds to begin a divorce there are Attorneys out there who will hold your husband responsible for YOUR legal fees.

As long as he's in the same household (as I said) that could be construed as supporting the children.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I pay child support? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother has a child who is 19 years old. The child has been out of school for a year and lives with a friend. He has now decided to enroll in school and to move in with his mother. Will my brother need to pick up the child support again?

How long I have to pay child support in NY state? [ 2 Answers ]

My child almost 17 years old. I would like to ask you the following questions: How long I have to pay child support in NY state? When I am able to stop?

How long does child support have to be paid? [ 1 Answers ]

An 18 year old male has been kicked out on the street by his mother after his 18th birthday. His father has never been around and has not paid child support at anytime. How old does child support have to be paid, can it be paid directly to him by his father if court ordered? If anyone can help...

How long must my husband pay child support? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband's previous wife said he has to pay child support for his son until he is 19, because she decided not to enroll him in school until he was 6 years old and he will not graduate high school until he is 19. They got divorced in the state of GA and she now resides in Virginia. She has sole...

How long do you have to pay child support? [ 5 Answers ]

How long do you have to pay child support?

View more questions Search