Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgreenwa1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 03:41 AM
    Leaky Saddle Valve
    I think I've screwed up. Last night I replaced a faucet in my kitchen. In order to get to the cold supply line I very slightly bent a copper tube out of the way. That tube is attached to my instant hot on one end and a saddle valve on the other.

The end where the copper tube goes into the saddle valve began to leak. Figuring that I unseated the copper tube somehow, I wend to turn off the water supply to the sink. Turns out the idiot who installed it (previous homeowner) put it in before the shutoff. Now I have to turn the water off to the house in order to try to fix the damn thing.

Anyway - I did that. Undid the nut where the tube goes into the valve, re-bent the tube to try to get it straight into the valve and then tightened the nut. This turned what was a gentle drip into an all out spray.

Water has been off since last night. Thought I'd check here to see if it is something a mere mortal can fix.

Ideas - Please
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2009, 05:00 AM
    What size pipe's coming out of the saddle valve and what does it feed?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 05:11 AM
    Tom... Jgreenwa1 said, "That tube is attached to my instant hot on one end and a saddle valve on the other."...

Jgreenwa1... quickest fix here is to go out to the store and purchase a new saddle valve kit and a new compression nut and ferrule (of correct size... I'm betting 1/4" compression). While there, purchase a small copper tubing cutter.

Then go back home, remove the old saddle valve and install the new valve. Then cut the copper tube and old ferrule and compression nut off an inch behind the old ferrule and install the new nut and ferrule. Tighten well, but not too tight. That should get you up and running.

Finally, best bet here would be to remove the saddle valve and install a newer model of shutoff as saddle valves have a tendency to dry out over time and can leak and fail over time. This won't usually happen with a newer shutoff... Just FYI... ;)

Let us know if you need more here...

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Tom... Jgreenwa1 said, "That tube is attached to my instant hot on one end and a saddle valve on the other."...
    My bad! Blame it on lack of sleep or "mad cow disease".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a Saddle Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I Have a saddle valve that allows water flow to a furnace humidifier. I can not shut it off nor turn the valve stem. Can a saddle valve be replaced or does one install a new piece of copper pipe and then install the valve?

Saddle valve [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a saddle valve for an icemaker/refrigerator. It says the line should be 1/2 inch that the saddle valve goes on. Can it be 3/8 inch instead?

Aquapex with saddle valve? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I bought a fridge that has water dispensing unit and I want to plumb it in. I bought an install kit that came with small copper pipe as well as a saddle valve. I have 1/2 inch aquapex run throughout my house, I was wondering is the saddle valve...

Self piercing saddle valve [ 3 Answers ]

When installing a saddle valve should you pierce the water line in front or behind the water shut off?

Saddle valve sizes [ 1 Answers ]

Does one size saddle valve fit 1/2 & 3/4 inch copper pipe? Can you replace a leaky saddle valve with a new one in same location?

View more questions Search