Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wadey08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 07:09 PM
    My tattoo may be rubbing off
    I got a tattoo (my first one too) 3 days ago so its in the early healing stages. Every time I have a shower my tattoo seems to rub off a bit, I can't see any physical difference but I'm worried. Am I doing something wrong?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 07:26 PM

Hmm. If you see that your tattoo is flaking off then that's fine, it could also means the artist had a light hand and they should give you a free touch up. Like I said flaking will happen because of the healing process. Sometimes you'll even see the color of the tatto in the skin flakes. Don't pick at it- EVER, you'll screw up the entire tattoo.

When showering try to "skip" your tattoo, meaning, no loofas, rubbing or scrubbing!

Sarah
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 07:55 PM

What you're seeing is part of the natural healing process. It's essentially a scab that's coming off. It is unlikely that your tattoo is rubbing off if you had it professionally done because the equipment puts the ink deep enough into the skin that the body "encapsulates" it there. Different story if it is a homemade tat.

Just don't pick at it and follow your after-care instructions to a tee and you should be fine.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 08:04 AM

What ever you do, do not pick at the flaking bits. This will cause the tattoo to become patchy, just leave it to heal and flake on its own.
    All of mine took over a week to start to look normal.

If there are any patches missing at the fault of the tattooist get them to touch it up, I had a tiny spot that wasn't colored in so I went in to see him and he just touched it up then and there.

So... what did you get? :D
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Apr 18, 2009, 10:20 AM

Just make sure to put on lotion a few times a day for about 2 weeks. When washing, do not use anything except your hands- no scrubbing. It is very impotant to keep your tattoo clean. Keeping your tattoo moisturized will also keep down the scabbing.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Apr 18, 2009, 12:16 PM

Also, if it's anywhere on the belt line or where clothes get tight (caught)... wear looser clothes. I have one on my lower back and wore comfy and rolled down the pants until the scabs fell off on their own (or healed up).

Don't expose it to sun and when it is healed I wear tons of sunblock with SPF 60 on it to protect it.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aztec Water Dog rubbing [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I'm trying to find out more about an Aztec rubbing (framed about 24"x24") and its value. It's numbered but there's no signature. It's the Aztec Water dog. Anyone have any thoughts? Mary

Clorox and Rubbing Alcohol [ 4 Answers ]

Can I mix Clorox and Rubbing alcohol?

Can you contract an std by just rubbing [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone would know, if you can contract an std by just rubbing up on a person but not actually having intercourse.

Dog rubbing rear on ground [ 8 Answers ]

Why does my dog rub his rear on the ground?

View more questions Search