Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Tips on copper compression fitting?
    My problem is whenever I work with coppoer compression fittings, I never seem to get a good seal and something always leaks. Are there any tips on how to do it right? Should I use a hack saw verse my Reciprocating Saw to cut the tube? (SLow vs Fast).

I know the cut has to be straight, then slide in the screw part over the tube and then the "flange". Then connect it to the male connect and then tighten. I also always use teflon tape on the male side.

How tight should it be?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Tips on copper compression fitting?
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyds
    My problem is whenever I work with coppoer compression fittings, I never seem to get a good seal and something always leaks. Are there any tips on how to do it right? Should I use a hack saw verse my Reciprocating Saw to cut the tube? (SLow vs Fast).

I know the cut has to be straight, then slide in the screw part over the tube and then the "flange". Then connect it to the male connect and then tighten. I also always use teflon tape on the male side.
    How tight should it be?
    Let's get together on terms. Screw part=compression nut. Flange= ferral, male side = Compression fitting
    Purchase a set of cheap tubing cutters from the hardware store and use them. DO NOT USE teflon tape or pipe joint compound on any compression fitting. When tightening put a wrench on the compression fitting for backing while tightening the compression nut. Crank down hard when tightening. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2005, 11:04 AM
    I never have much luck with them either. Be interesting to see Tom's answer. I think the regular tubing cutters would do better than any saw. Try not to nick the tubing or any of the parts. You shouldn't need the Teflon tape. The threads are not where it seals, but between the ferrule, ring, and the tubing and seat. Out of desperation, I have tried tape over them. My usually technique it to tighten it up until I think I am nearing stripping the threads. Then when it leaks, tighten it up some more. If that doesn't work, I fool around with the tape, and once I put an O-ring in. Maybe my problem is over tightening it to start with. Maybe try snugging it up and check for leaks. If so, tighten it up a little at a time. I know pipe fittings can be over tightened, stretched, and then always will leak.

Frankly automotive and industrial applications are getting away from metal to metal seals. The big problem is entirely too many new products that don't work with each other.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Compression fittings like the one you talk about use a metal to metal seal. The nut compresses the ferrule into the pipe. Therefore, these connections don't need pipe dope/teflon tape. The tubing must be concentric and without marring or it won't work well... cutting with a saw will probably deform the tubing making for a crappy seal... especially with a recip saw.

Jan 10, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the help!
    I used a pipe cutter as suggested and made sure it made a perfect cut. Other attempts resulted in a spiral pattern!

After I made sure the cut was perfectly even and round, I inserted the nut and then the "flange" as the bag from HomeDepot called it. Then I tightened it up and luckily had no leaks on either end.

Thanks all!
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2005, 08:09 PM
    Great!!

About the "spiral cuts"... did your pipe cutter make those by spinning around the pipe but not staying in the same groove? If so return it and get a different pipe cutter... that "spiral cutting" is no good. I recently got a pipe cutter from Home Depot that did that... it was crap.

Jan 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    Great!!!

About the "spiral cuts"....did your pipe cutter make those by spinning around the pipe but not staying in the same groove?? If so return it and get a different pipe cutter...that "spiral cutting" is no good. I recently got a pipe cutter from Home Depot that did that...it was crap.
    It came in a set. One was a larger on, I guess it was standard size. This one is fine. It was a smaller one, fits in the palm of your hand that was making the spiral cuts. I bought these about 4 years ago. I think this was the first time I tried using the smaller one. I'm not sure they would take it back now.

David
    Bev Sabre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2005, 05:32 PM
    Tips on Copper compression fitting
    Thanks guys - I was having trouble with installing a water line for an icemaker. (Leaks) After practicing with a pipe cutter (nothing ever comes with directions - I found how to use one on the net) I followed Tom's advice and it worked great!
    medinapool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Everything I have read on compression fittings is you should tighten until small resistance then a half turn. That way you haven't over tightened. Turn on water slowly and watch. If you have a leak turn 1/4 more and usually you are good to go.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 05:21 AM

Hi Medina...

You are probably talking about the compression fittings attached to the newer BRAIDED supply hoses... not regular compression fittings.

The braided hoses do indeed require the hand-tight plus 1/4 turn but the reality is that you need a full turn on two to "set them and forget them"... ;)

Full on compression fittings require us to go hand-tight plus 2-3 or more turns... really a feel thing here.

Have a good day!

Mark
    Bill Shut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
    Compression fittings may seem to be an easier solution + are priced to convince you of that, but they DO suck. Maybe a few drips are better than burning down the house, but not for long. Wish I had gone for soldered connections.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Hi and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 7 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    Sorry you had trouble. Would you care to share with us what size pie and what when wrong. Back to you, Tiom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Malleable/Best-fitting Outlet Covers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All! Would anyone be able to give me some tips/ideas/suggestions on some different types of outlet covers that work well with "rough pine log" surfaces. I have @ 20 different outlets/switches boxed within logs for a new log home and looking for some suggestions on some founded ways of dealing...

Leaded fitting in shower [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing a shower.. the old pan drain is leaded to the drain pipe. How do I remove the lead? What is the easiest way to proceed? Can I do this myself, or do I need a plumber? Thanks for your help.

Removing galv fitting from cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove a threaded stuck lead fitting from a cast iron section? The fitting was from a lead sink drain pipe and it connected to the cast pipe at the toilet elbow. I tried a pipe wrench and a hammer to try to budge it but no go. I want to thread new PVC into the section of...

Can someone please identify this PVC fitting [ 3 Answers ]

Attached (I hope) is a picture of a fitting I am trying to identify. This fitting joins my PVC washing machine drain pipe to my copper soil pipe. I would like to know what it is called so I can buy another one without sounding like an idiot to the sales folks. Also, I am looking for application...

Retro fitting K&N FIPK Kits [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change the stock air filter unit on my 94 dodge spirit, and perhaps put a K&N kit in it. Although K&N does not make a kit for my car, not surprisingly, I have seen some set ups that look like they would fit well under my hood. The air filter is a good size, and the pipe's bend could be...

View more questions Search