Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kpacnj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Unknown mound-making insect or animal in lawn
    I have an unknown pest in my lawn. Something pushes up little loose, uneven, clumpy mounds of dirt and somewhere in there, there will be a narrow hole that goes down about 1-2 inches. I measured this by pushing a grass stalk down - it was usually a tight fit, and they appear to be air holes. However, the little mounds are not joined together by tunnels. Each one is separate and they are spaced 1-2 feet apart, very irregularly, over large areas, making the lawn bumpy and uneven. They occur in bare patches or under lawn, it doesn't matter. If under lawn, the mounds still have grass growing through them and the amount of loose dirt around the narrow hole is usually a little less.

Anyone know what is causing these mounds? They are smaller than anything a mole or vole makes, and there are no tunnels, as I already mentioned above. I have never seen anything escape through the holes. This is the 2nd year I have them and they seem to be spreading. Thought of termites or cicadas, but holes looks too small. Maybe spiders, but see no webs.

Hope someone has seen this before. Would naturally also like to know how to get rid of them.

Best, KPW
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Sounds like a digger wasp laying eggs. Have you seen any flying around?
    Image Search Results

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Termite mound [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a way of getting rid of a termite mound without calling pest controllers to do the job?

Raised pitchers mound [ 1 Answers ]

Why is the pitchers mound raised

Unknown animal eating pine cones in my yard [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? Don't know if I should be asking this here or in "Pest Control" I have tall white pine trees in my yard. Under a tree is a pile of what looks like wood shavings but is actually the scaly parts of pine cones dropping to the ground from far up in the tree. The pine cones...

Dirt mound an Eye soar! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello you, I recently baught a new home that was inspected prior to me purchasing. During the first 8 monthsof living in the home I noticed some drainage problems. To get to the point I had to replace 80 feet of sewer pipe to the main(street). After all the work was completed I was left with a...

Big mound of dirt [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a house with a enormous mound of dirt in the back yard. It is so big that are dog keeps jumping over the fence. What is the best way of removing this dirt? We have already removed 6 wheelbarrow full of dirt and re-alocated it throughout the garden. My husband says it would take...

View more questions Search