Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    havasujoan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
    Ridges in fingernails
    My fingernails have ridges in them, I remember hearing that it means you are missing something in your diet, or your health is not good. Do you know? Does it have to do with stress?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 03:20 PM

Hope this helps

Most nail problems indicate a lack of zinc or iron. Zinc supplements are easily found in any pharmacy while additional iron intake needs to be monitored by your physician

Nail textures: Vertical ridges that appear on the nail can indicate disorders as simple as iron deficiency, poor absorption of vitamins and nutrients, overall poor health or they could indicate something as serious as kidney trouble. (So, you see why consulting your physician is so important.) These vertical ridges, as well as bumpy nails, can also suggest that one is prone to developing arthritis. Ridges running horizontally across the nail can indicate physical or mental stress.

"white spot". Although it has been noted that white lines can be symptoms of a serious disorder, their presence is more than likely a result of iron or zinc deficiency. Before worrying about any severe disease, your first step should be to see your doctor and have him/her test your levels of iron and zinc.
    Spoon -shaped or fluted ? This may signal a lack of iron and/or vitamin A. Load up on your greens, sprouts, carrots, melon and pumpkin. Eat small portions of iron -rich liver and other red meat.

Brittle nails may be a sign that you need more biotin, which is found in yeast mushrooms, grapefruit, watermelon. Bananas, and strawberries. It could also mean you need more iron --easily obtained from red meat, greens and carrots --or that you lack zinc.
    Fragile nails and nails that show horizontal or vertical ridges could mean a deficiency in vitamin B. Carrots, spinach, brown rice, melon, and walnuts are good, natural sources.

Discolored nails: Diabetes, stress, allergies
    And simple illness can cause your nails to appear discolored. A greenish nail color, however, can be a sign of infection, either in the nail bed or in your system.

Bluish nail beds can be a sign of lung trouble, such as emphysema or even asthma. A simple dark blue line in the nail can be a sign of skin cancer. Tiny black streaks can indicate a heart problem, while reddish-brown spots can indicate a deficiency of folic acid, protein or vitamin C.

Forgot to add sources.
    First two have some good information that I didn't include in first post.

Section 3 - Extremities - Part 2

Finger Nail Ridges :: BTD Forums

Nail and Your Healthy

finger nails and diagnosis

Fingernails and nutrition

Nails & Your Health

Nail Problems
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Apr 24, 2009, 02:09 AM

I have ridges only on my thumbnails. My manicurist told me simply that along with the rest of me, my cuticles are also aging and I should think of the ridges as fingernail wrinkles.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2009, 04:01 PM

I think that if they are going up and down it can be normal. If they are going across then it really needs to be figured out.
    Mostly usually vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:14 PM

Ever wonder why when you go to the doctor's the doctor holds your hands and examines your fingernails? Now you know why. My mother was a nurse for many years and told me that fact. You would be amazed at what diseases your fingernails can tattle tale on!

No Help - I was going to give you a greenie for a great post but I have to spread around some more love!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do I bite my fingernails? [ 26 Answers ]

I am a professional very well respected business woman, wife and mother. I cannot stop biting my fingernails! The only way my hands look decent is to wear acrylic nails from the nail salon. I have done this ever since I was in first grade according to my parents. I am now 40. I want to stop...

Moons on fingernails [ 12 Answers ]

I have noticed within the past few days that the 'moons' on my fingernails are starting to disappear. Pinky finger, both hands, moons gone. Fourth finger, right-hand - gone, left-hand disappearing. Does anyone have any idea as to why this would be happening? :(

Whitish fingernails [ 1 Answers ]

Recently someone commented that I must have a heart problem because my fingernails are not pink like normal... I have had these nails forever and have heard this before. I have quarterly checkups for my diabetes (the nails were white 30 years before I was a diabetic) and my Dr. never mentions...

Growing fingernails [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: how do I grow my fingernails,I take my vit. D and my calcium,drink my milk,now why aren't my fingernails growing,what's wrong here,what am I doing wrong,

View more questions Search