Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Yellow drywall or cement board
    I found this yellow drywall at the local store that is mold/mildew resistant. I plan on using it for the bathroom walls but could I also use it as a backer board instead of the regular cement board?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 04:52 PM

No, yellow drywall is not a substitute for cement board. You can use it in non-wet area of a bath like the side walls and around the mirror. A wet area inside the shower stall should be cement board, Wonderboard, Hardiebacker or Ditra.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Apr 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Ditra? I don't think so... :eek:

You mean Kerdi. And, if you do use Kerdi, you can use regular wallboard.

Coach, would you like to describe your project, might be able to set you straight?

Jaz

Apr 15, 2009, 05:28 PM

Yeah I figured cement board was the way to go. Now can I put 1/2 inch cement board right over my studs?
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Apr 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coach78 View Post
    Yeah I figured cement board was the way to go. Now can I put 1/2 inch cement board right over my studs?
    Yes, I would highly recommend using a suitable construction adhesive such as Liquid-Nails and galvanized screws or galvanized ribbed shank nails.

Apr 15, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Coach,

Yes you install the 1/2" CBU to the studs, but not so fast.

We still don't know what you are doing. Is it a shower stall? A tub with shower? Neither? If you install the boards to the studs, were you going to first place a vapor barrier on the studs? Were you going to apply a surface membrane on the cement backer instead? What are your plans? What specific products will you be using? Have you chosen the tiles and all setting products?

Jaz

Apr 15, 2009, 07:02 PM

I plan on using plastic sheeting on the studs.

Apr 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
    You're a man of few words. Plastic. Then what?:confused:

In case you haven't figured this out yet... I am trying to help YOU from making a mistake. I could be spending my time with someone on another forum that cares about how their project turns out! :eek:

Jaz
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Apr 15, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coach78 View Post
    I plan on using plastic sheeting on the studs.
    If you are using plastic sheeting as your vapor barrier then you won't be able to use adhesive on the studs. Just nail or screw in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Cement board with in the whole house [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing all the sheet rock in my entire house. The insulation behind it all is garbage. A friend of mine told me to use cement board for all the walls and ceilings. I am trying to find out if would be a good idea or not. It sounds good for sounds proofing between rooms and all but I don't...

Join drywall to cement board [ 5 Answers ]

Help! I need to know what product to use to join drywall to cement board in my bathroom remodel. Any help will be appreciated.:confused:

Shower wall materials-Cement Backer Board or Drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I have a debate going on regarding whether one should use cement backer board or waterproof drywall on the shower walls before installing the ceramic tile. What is most commonly used in the industry? Looking forward to your answers :p

Cement board [ 1 Answers ]

I plan on installing cement board behind a wood burning open stove on an outside deck. Do I need backing behing the cement board and can it be colored using high temp paint?

View more questions Search