Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keith47041 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 01:27 PM
    My riding mower only clicks when trying to start
    Ive replaced the selinoid and it still just clicks and doesn't even try to start.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 02:17 PM

Try jumping from your car just to eliminate the possibility of a low battery.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 02:17 PM

Could be in the Starter. If able to secure vehicle for safety, I would tap starter while turning Key.
    If it cranks, it is likely the Starter, and If lucky will continue to work, At least now you know it is the starter.
    Low Battery may only click.
    Also, if you have a Meter or Test light, see if power is at starter terminal during cranking.
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2009, 09:29 AM
    ... I am not an expert, but if you saw my posts below... I have a john deere tractor with same problem... it just clicked when trying to start... did not turn engine... long story short it was my battery... JD dealer put in new battery and it worked fine... I had left my battery out in cold, possibly frozen... thawed it and put trickle charger on it and put it back in tractor, but still had clicking noise, even though there was some charge in battrey cause the headlight worked... they said battery was probabkly damaged and could not produce enough amperage etc...

I would try that for a low cost fix, before paying too much money
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 10:06 AM

You need to keep a trickle charger on it at all times during extended storage. The battery self discharges and once that happens, I believe sulpfur starts to deposit between the plates. In order to get low ESR (Effective Series Resistance) the plates have to be close together.
    Once the plates short, there is not much you can do.

Liguid lead acid batteries are shipped dry, so storage is indefinate.

Lead acid batteries come in 2 major types: Deep cycle and normal "car". The car battery is designed to deliver lots of amps. Cold Cranking Amps for a short time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deer Riding Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deer Riding Lawn Mower LX 173. It won't start. It ran fine last fall and I have a new battery on it. It will start with the help of starting fluid and run for just a second and then shut off. I found a hose disconnected on it but I'm not sure where it goes. It was laying...

Murray riding mower just clicks when try to start [ 12 Answers ]

Murrey riding lawnmower just clicks when I try to start it. Battery is good. Engine is good, have gas. Is there a starter or solinoid switch that might need to be replaced? If so where is it?

My riding mower will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have basically given it a tune up... I have change the gas filter, changed the spark plug and the air filter doesn't appear to need to be changed. The battery turns over real good but it will not start, it appears to not be getting gas. Also I checked the fuse and it appears to be okay also. ...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I started the mower, MTD Yardman 17.5 hp B&S, cut the lawn and put it away. I tried to start it a couple days later and it wouldn't start. I did not even get a "click" from the starter solenoid. I was able to jump start it with a portable jump pack. After turning it off it would not start. I...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

View more questions Search