Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yjdesigns Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
    My Dog Is Limping after a Fall
    I have a year old Yorkie that I got from a shelter about 2 weeks ago. Anyway.. This morning I had him in my arms and in all the excitement of wanting to be with my other dogs, he jumped out of my arms and landed on his side. Remington weighs about 5 lbs. When he fell, it was apparent that he landed wrong and hurt himself. No yelping, whining or barking. He was limping pretty bad initially but now just does not want to be able to want to apply pressure to that leg. He is walking around and seems to be doing much better. He was part of a puppy mill in Arkansas that got raided so I am sure that his bones are very fragile... I am just worried and trying to see what are some signs that I should look out for to see if it is much more serious than it appears. Again he is displaying no pain.. I am not sure what to do...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2009, 07:18 PM

Unless you ARE a Vet you take him TO a Vet. He could have any type of injury, including internal.

That's what a responsible pet owner does, puppy mill dog or not.
    yjdesigns Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 07:39 PM

I don't appreciate your comment about what a responsible pet owner would do... Mentioning that he came from a puppy mill was not intended to be taken as a reason for his injury and was purely taken out of context. If I wasn't responsible pet owner then I would be the ower of not one , not 2 but 3 dogs who truly have a better life then they were allowed.

I'd appreciate advice from someone who might have experienced a situation as mine. I will take Remy to the vet tomorrow when they open. I just need to know if I should be overly concerned this evening... He is resting now with his brothers and is not displaying any signs of pain.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yjdesigns View Post
    I don't appreciate your comment about what a responsible pet owner would do... Mentioning that he came from a puppy mill was not intended to be taken as a reason for his injury and was purely taken out of context. If I wasn't responsible pet owner then I would be the ower of not one , not 2 but 3 dogs who truly have a better life then they were allowed.

I'd appreciate advice from someone who might have experienced a situation as mine. I will take Remy to the vet tomorrow when they open. I just need to know if I should be overly concerned this evening... He is resting now with his brothers and is not displaying any signs of pain.
    If we had a dollar for every question on here asking if we can figure out what's wrong with an animal (yeah, like over the Internet) so the owner doesn't have to go to the vet... they want to give the animal people medicine and avoid any medical care. Your question has a bit of that flavor, and you didn't mention in your first post any intention to see the vet tomorrow. And if we had another dollar for each backyard breeder question...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 12, 2009, 08:30 PM

First, thank you for rescuing a puppymill pet! Of course they can get over excited, because of having to live in a cage with probably a dozen other pups. I applaud you for that.

Keep an eye open for any swelling, and watch how he is acting, to see if he shows any symptoms of lethargy and make sure he stays hydrated until you can get him in. You may want to wrap his little leg in a tensor bandage if you have one, just in case something has been broken or sprained. A cool bag might help a little too, but don't put it on for very long, as he obviously has very tiny legs. If he doesn't appear to be in any pain, then just watch him and see if he gets wobbly or shows any other signs of being off balance. Try and keep him imobile for the night, until all can be checked out. Otherwise, getting to the vet tomorrow should be just fine, if he does not show signs of pain.

Judy and Wondergirl, I think you may have misunderstood. ;) (lub you guys!) She's one of the good guys! She rescued this puppy out of an awful puppymill, and gave it a home. His bones are likely fragile because of the lack of health care given to him. We need more people to care this much and take these pups out of the horrific living conditions that they are in. I'm so glad another puppymill got shut down! This is one more dog that won't have to die, because someone cared enough to save him.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 12, 2009, 08:43 PM

It sounds like he pulled something. If he's walking on it, able to put pressure on it, that's a good sign.

The fact that he's so little and probably hasn't had the best nutrition in his life because of his background, does worry me. I would take him to a vet just to be sure.

Seeing as it's Easter weekend and all the vets are closed, possibly until Tuesday, keep an eye out for swelling and or increase in limping, yelping, obvious signs of pain.

Try not to let him put too much pressure on it, keep him as calm as possible (1 year old yorkie, tough job! ;)). If it swells more then try icing it.

Let us know how it goes and enjoy your new pup, I'm so happy that he's been rescued from such a horrible existence.

Good luck.
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yjdesigns View Post

But actually I do know - I have worked in animal rescue. All of my dogs (with the exception of two) have been rescues. I do not purchase and I do not breed.

One of my dogs stumbled and tore her cruciate (ligament), requiring surgery costing well over a thousand dollars. No one dropped her, she didn't fall - she simply stumbled. She was lame and was in the emergency clinic within hours because she was limping and had some pain.

This isn't about whether your dog has a better life - this is about whether your dog is now injured and should be seen by a Vet.

I'm glad you rescue instead of purchasing and/or breeding - but that does not negate the need for Vet care when that dog is (or appears) injured.
    devils_childsso Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Oct 21, 2009, 07:30 AM
    My 2 1/2 month old pup just fell off my bed- and is limping. The limping was very bad at first (two hours ago)- but seems to be getting better. I have read various posts on pups, falls, and limping over the last two hours.

The pup shows no sign of pain other then the limping- even wants to play.

I know- just by reading the posts- the responce- which is TAKE TO VET.

Ok- pretend for a minute you DO love your pet- and you want to insure your pet is taken care of.

Pretend now that you are on a fixed income. One that would keep you from going into a Dr. Right away if you fell and twisted your ankle. OR ASSUMED you twisted your ankle.

Think about the current economy- recession compaired to great depression.

Before you say- "well then, you can't afford to take care of your pet"- YEA RIGHT. OK- I admit- pesonal attack here.. . NOT EVERYONE MAKES THREE FIGURE INCOMES, CAN PUT AN ID CHIP IN THEIR DOG, AND CAN JUST THROW AWAY EASILY 150 dollars to 300 dollars. Some of us even think about cutting costs by (GOD FORBID- giving our dogs their shots ourselves- cause we simply can't afford a vet except for under the most diar emergencies.

And by everything I've read- apparently profecionals (vets) that care about the animal as well as the person will say.. . If the dog fell, is limping, but shows no pain and shows no swelling or toe nail breakage - and you are not rich or high upper-middle class- well FIRST- this does not disqualify you from benifiting from a pet. Many people from poverty level to midian income have (and need) companion animals! Vet's online that understand both the need to take care of the dog, as well as concerns of pocketbook- say Wait 3 days- checking puppy progress several times daily- continue to look for swelling and for simple things like hurt toe nail! If dog doesn't act in pain- including when checking paw puppy is limping on, and limp appears to be getting better- wait up to three days- sprain will heal in this time. If pup is putting ANY pressure on paw- paw is probably not broken- sprain can be walked off in three days.

HOWEVER- if signs occure that dictate more then a sprain is going on- things are not getting better in the course of that three days, ect- TAKE TO VET IMMEDIATLY- as YOU WOULD TAKE YOURSELF TO HOSPITAL IF YOUR POOR AND YOUR ASSUMED SPRAIN DIDN'T GET BETTER IN THREE DAYS.

Thanks all for your kind concern for those that are not rich- but need companion animals, and can't just run to the vet every time the dog hurts a paw and acts like it is a sprain.

Get upset and pressre for a vet after a three day careful examination of hurt paw shows little sign of getting better after three days. Even the poorest pet lover- if he/she is truly a pet lover, will not wait longer then this- and would search for a vet after the three days- no matter what the financial situaion.

IF YOU FEEL DIFFERENTLY- HEY- I'D LIKE TO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT AN UNNECISARY $400 VET BILL, AND DON'T WANT TO SEE MY PUP IN PAIN- BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP TRACK OF PUPPY ACTIONS AND LIMPING OVER NEXT THREE DAYS WHILE CHECKING PAW DEEPLY AND REGULARLY FOR INDICATIONS MY PUPPY MAY NEED TO GO EARLYER THEN THREE DAYS! IF LIMPING HASN'T IMPROVED DRASTICALLY IN THREE DAYS- I'LL TAKE PUP TO THE VET- AND WON'T CARE ABOUT THE COST.

If you insist this is wrong, and you think the ONLY answer is VET NOW- and you have those types of funds- I DON'T WANT TO SEE MY PUP IN PAIN EVEN FOR A SPRAIN- BUT I REALIZE WHAT THE ECONOMY IS LIKE- AND WHERE I FIT FINANCIALLY- WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T JUSTIFY UNDER MY CURRENT FINANCIAL STATUS- so IF YOU INSIST VET NOW- PLEASE HELP WITH FUNDS.

Otherwise- give good advice based on social status, economy, and pay close attention to the repeating 3 day advice of caring vets that DO look at the entire pet/owner situation.

THANKS.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 07:56 AM

I read that twice an I still can't figure out if you were abusing the above posters or supporting them :confused:

One thing I will say for future readers before this gets closed... our answers will always be first and foremost, take you animal to the vet when it comes to injury.

We don't know if it's a sprain, a grass seed in their paw or a torn ligament, we cannot physically see the animal and we are not vets. We are here to give advice only such as keep his weight off it, and keep it calm until you can get it to a vet.

Financial difficulties or not, animals deserve medical care.
    If I had a dollar for every time someone cried poverty yet was posting on here on there super fast internet connection while listening to cable TV I would be a rich woman.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 08:04 AM

I think this person is soliciting contributions - "WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T JUSTIFY UNDER MY CURRENT FINANCIAL STATUS- so IF YOU INSIST VET NOW- PLEASE HELP WITH FUNDS."

Otherwise between the spelling and punctuation (and pretentious language) I can't tell if I've been high fived or insulted - or a little bit of each.

I'll go back to my original point - if you can't afford a pet, don't get one.

Well, back to making my three figure income -
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 08:09 AM

Yup, might RIP this one as well as closing.

Thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog limping [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a new dog owner, and I have a 1 year old male rottie/lab mix about 60 pounds. He was running around the yard and now he's limping on his right rear leg. I don't see anything, there's no temperature and he has no swelling. Yet when he walks he lifts the leg up in the air as soon as stops. He...

Limping on and off? [ 7 Answers ]

Trink's been walking funny off and on yesterday and today. There are times when it seems like the right hind joint right at the ankle is "stiff", which makes her gait a little odd... hard to describe, but not as smooth and flowing on that leg as the others, with possibly a bit of a swing out. And...

Limping of dog [ 1 Answers ]

My six year old female daschund has started limping. She limps with her left rear leg. The vet could not treat her. What could be the cause?

Limping Dog [ 1 Answers ]

We acquired Max as an orphan by some new construction model homes (I've since decided this is a dog drop off zone). I thought he was an adult, as it turned out he was so young he hadn't lost a tooth even, and was already 37 pounds! He's now almost 2 - we have given him Halloween for a birthday...

Cat is limping [ 3 Answers ]

I just noticed it this morning. My cat Oreo is limping and is favoring her left front paw. But when she plays with our other cat she runs and doesn't seem to be feeling much pain until I touch her paw then she snarls and bites at me. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search