Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Toro mower deck cleaning
    What is the best way to keep the grass from sticking to the mower deck?
    I have heard of ceramic coatings that can be sprayed on and another product that you mix with water to spray the deck.

The mower has a deck wash but that really uses a lot of water and we are on a well with limited water recovery. I have cleaned all the old grass off and there is some rust that I am trying to clean and I would like to make the cleaning a little easier for future mowing.

The lawn gets mowed twice a week and the cleaning of the deck every time is a pain.
    If you have any info it what be great. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 01:54 PM

Unless you have cut really thick, wet grass most of us just ignore what you can't see. If the grass builds up to a point that it affects the discharge then you can chip it out with a outty knife every few weeks. There is no magic coating that will cause wet grass to not stick.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

I agree with BB, but I'll add something. The blades may not be sharp or possibly installed wrong. Wet grass is going to be the major case of grass sticking.

A stiff brush and a putty knife should be all you need to clean a deck.

Rust spots can be treated with Extend, which will polymerize the rust.

Silicone spray and or vegetable spray might be things to try.

I use a push mower and typically clean the deck once a year at the same time I do an oil change.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2009, 03:18 PM

We are mowing close to 5 acres at times and some areas are low and if we get some rain it takes a few days to dry. That dam grass will grow 6 inches in 3 days it seems and its still wet.

The soil here in upstate ny is clay with limestone rock very close to the surface.

When we have a average summer we get very little rain and then the lawn gets brown with cracks in the clay topsoil. I prefer a green lawn but if its less mowing that's more time for fishing.

The wife gets real upset if the lawn doesn't get mowed and then I can't go fishing.
    Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much oil does my Toro 6.5 hp GTS mower need? [ 1 Answers ]

I like someone else put oil in my mower, sounds like I put too much in as well. I can probably drain the oil to put new in though, how much should it take? Thanks!

Toro 1744 hxl mower [ 2 Answers ]

need mower belt set-up on the mower deck. how to install, please

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Toro 1744HXL riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a diagram for replacing the belt in the mowing deck of a Toro 17-44HLX riding mower

View more questions Search