Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    contraryone Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
    How do I use an electric pipe snake
    I have got a clog in my main drain. All my sinks back up into my shower. The toilet is fine though. I have a stand up shower only, so I don't have an over flow hole. I have tried everything so I am going to rent a snake. Can I put the snake right through the drain in my shower? And since it isn't affecting my toilet should I still try the outside drain? PLEASEEE HELP ME!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 11:55 AM

You will not get that snake through the shower trap. We need to talk our way through your problem since it appears to not be your main drain that's clogged. If the toilet works fine your main is fine, no two ways about that. The sinks back into the shower so they must be on the same line which later leads to your main. Remove the sink trap, catch the water in a bucket and then rodd with a 1/4" drum rodder into the lateral line going into the wall. 6" in you will hit a 90 degree bend, just turn and push and you will get through. Run as much line as you can and try at each sink that backs up.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Hi all...

Going down the sink drain is always a good idea, but you need to be clear that about 50% of the time the snake will go UP the sink vent instead of down the drain... so keep that in mind if you do this.

Have you tried the plunger? Here, remove the strainer and then fill shower with 1" of water and use the plunger... pull up hard, push down hard... ;)

Otherwise, I would actually have you start by snaking through the shower drain. If you use a hand-held snake and you push it while turning it you should be able to push past the PTRAP (see picture) and continue to snake the drain until you reach the clog... it shouldn't be far. Be sure to leave an inch or so of water in the shower while snaking the drain(s) so when you hit the clog you can tell as water starts to drain out.

Try these things... one of them will get you to that clog!

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2009, 04:17 PM
    I have a different take on this. It's pretty iffy trying to snake a clogged branchfrom a lavatory drain. Like Mark sez, Once you hit the vent stack you won't know which way the cable will go. Since both sinks back up in the shower and the shower's wet vented by the lavatory vent that's the way I would send my snake down. Try Marks way first with a 1/4 or 3/8ths.inch snake. If you run into problems click on back and I'll walk you through snaking the roof vent. Good luck, Tom
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 06:33 PM

Speedball1 or massplumber

What are your thoughts on a power plunger?

Chuck
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Hi Chuck...

I'm all for any kind of gadget that clears the drain line... ;) I guess the only tool I am afraid of for most homeowners would be the kinetic ram by general tool co. This tool bursts/loosens more connections than it clears... I swear! However, in the hands of a pro... actually a great tool!

I have seen a number of different "power plungers"... great tool with plastic drain lines. With older cast iron or galvanized pipes these plungers usually result in punching a small hole in blockage. For these cases you need a power snake... ;)

Is there a particular power plunger you like best?
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 11:42 PM

Hi Mark

In the late 80's, had a Puma. Made in Italy. Pressure gasket went and couldn't get new one. Lasted about 10 yrs.

Got power snake (similar to picture) for xmas when it died. LOL

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2009, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Speedball1 or massplumber

What are your thoughts on a power plunger?

Chuck
    Power Plungers only work on clogs located in drains before the stack vent.
    Anything downstream from the vent won't be affected. However they are great on sink and lavatory clogs located in the arm going to the stack.
    But to be sure you have got the clog, use a snake. Regards, Tom
    contraryone Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Just to let everyone know my clog is gone! I ended up buying a 25 foot drain auger and running it though the bathroom sink pipes. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 03:16 PM

Congratulations ! Now, keep that snake. Every HomeOwner should own one ! :-D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snake stuck in drain pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I used a power snake with 1/2 in cable, went in 10 - 15 feet and it wouldn't go an further. Now the snake won't go in or out. How can I get it out. I bought a retrieval tool with a 3/8 inch cable. How do I use it.

Dropped snake in vent pipe! [ 7 Answers ]

In attempting to clear a vent stack pipe to solve gurgling toilet, my snake got away from me and now is at the bottom of the stack pipe. What is the easiest way to retrieve this? Help, Slippery fingers - Cliff

Where do I run the snake? [ 1 Answers ]

Garbage disposal&kitchen sink drain go to basement, directly below is my laundry room. P-connection from washer to same drain pipe. When I run my washer, water is coming back out of the overflow drain to floor drain. I pulled grill off floor drain, there is mucky water in this floor drain,...

Snake stuck in sewer pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I rented the large electric snake to clean the roots out of the pipe and the snake is now stuck. I have rented the snake before and have been very successful never had this problem. Any ideas.

Pet snake [ 5 Answers ]

A friend of mine that I will be moving in with soon is insisting upon owning a carpet python. I understand that this is a battle that I cannot win. My only request is that she feed it something not rodent. What can I do? Frustrated, blusia

View more questions Search