Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Churchfixer Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Removing adhesive on brick wall
    I had a volunteer mount a metal plaque on a brick wall in an outside courtyard a couple of days ago. I went and looked to be sure the work was done, and found that the plaque is where it should be on the brick wall, but there is a yellow contact adhesive dripping from the plaque down the brick wall under it. Now, I do know that he did mount it with screws countersunk into the brick and in the back of the metal plaque. I guess the idea of using the adhesive was a good one, just not leaving before making sure all the adhesive had been cleaned off the wall and bottom of the plaque.

Can you remove this adhesive in some way besides just trying to chisel it off. Not sure that is going to get the yellow color off the brick either. Anyone have any suggestions besides not using that volunteer anymore?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 13, 2006, 06:00 AM
    You could try acid that is used in concrete cleaning. I forget the name. Someone here may know.
    Churchfixer Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 06:17 AM
    That was what I was afraid of. Guess I'll try that route. Thanks for the info.
    barefootjim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I used to work in the industry as a hodcarrier and a part of my job was cleaning brick after a job was finished. The acid is called Muriatic. Mix it in a five gallon bucket using approx 1 cup of acid per bucket. Make sure you moisten the brick and surrounding areas first and rinse thoroughly afterward. A bucket of baking soda and water will neutralize the acid afterward and is a good idea to have around during the process to rinse any skin that gets splashed with the acid while washing the brick. Don't forget ventilation to avoid lung burns.

Good luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Hold on folks, muratic acid has a strong effect on many materials including a metal plaque and brick but it has very little effect on most glues and adhesives. If you plan to try this do a very, very small spot to see what happens. I'd look into a blasting company that can blast with corn fines, relatively soft abrasive that will not touch brick or metal but should cut the glue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Removing adhesive residue from wood cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved, and the movers wrapped plastic tape around many pieces of my furniture to keep drawers from opening, pieces from falling out, etc. It seemed okay at the time, but when the tape was removed, some nasty adhesive residue from the tape was left behind on the wooden furniture,...

Fake Brick on kitchen wall [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove fake brick off a wall, if we remove it will it take off the plaster? Maybe it would be better just to paint it?

Removing Fake Brick [ 2 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to remove fake brick from the kitchen area, because we're remodeling the kitchen.

Removing a wall (with pictures [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wall which separates the vanity area from the shower/toilet area. I want to remove this wall, but was surprised when I removed the drywall. As seen in the photo below there is a 2X12 header across the door and a double 2X4 plate across the top. There is no support beam or post in the...

View more questions Search