Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb120583 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Statute of limitations in new brunswick canada
    I am being sued for a debt around $1500. This was a personal loan between friends, a non professional written statement was made by myself about repayment. (crumpled corner piece of paper at the time ) this was approx 9 years ago. I was an under age ( about 16 ) at the time. Does this person have a case against me and is there a time limit for the claimant to sue. Where can I find the legal info on these matters for evidence in court. Ie: sections, part, para etc

Apr 8, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Small claims : too much time passed?
    What laws can I use to win in small claims regarding personal debt between friends from about 9 or 10 years ago.
    Do they need proof of money that was loaned? Or can they verbally claim that it was loaned.
    Has it been too long, and what is the law saying that too much time has passed?
    phoxphyer78 Posts: 38, Reputation: 0

Apr 8, 2009, 12:43 PM

Didn't realize you were in Canada. Call legal aide in your county, they will help you. Good luck!

Apr 8, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phoxphyer78 View Post
    I'm sure in all 50 states anyone under 18 cannot sign a contract, whatever or whenever it may be. The court will not use that as evidence at all. Call legal aide in your county, they will tell you the same thing. Good luck!
    Legal aid does not support small claims in my province. Can you refer me to where the law says this ( signing under 18 ) something to use in court
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 01:02 PM

Every state has a staute of limitations and the ones on debts vary from state to state. Check your local SOL by googling SOL and your state name.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2009, 01:02 PM

The SOL on debt depends on where you live. Generally 6 years is the max. But the SOL depends on latest activity not when the loan was taken out.

As long as the debt exists you are responsible for paying it. But the SOL restricts how long they can sue you over it.

Apr 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Proof of money owed
    Does a claimant need proof of loan or is the decision ultimately up to the judge based on the verbal info given by both parties involved? In this case, it was a loan between two friends.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 03:22 PM

In my State - NY - verbal agreements are legal and binding. Both parties testify, Judge decides what does (or doesn't) make sense.

Very often the party that borrowed has made a payment or two and then stopped - nobody pays back a gift so they, therefore, have admitted it was a loan.

Don't know what your situation is, of course, or where you are.

Apr 8, 2009, 03:29 PM
    New Brunswick Canada SOL?
    what is the statute of limitations on a written contract in the province of New Brunswick. Canada. I can not find it online. Please help or direct

Apr 8, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    In my State - NY - verbal agreements are legal and binding. Both parties testify, Judge decides what does (or doesn't) make sense.

Very often the party that borrowed has made a payment or two and then stopped - nobody pays back a gift so they, therefore, have admitted it was a loan.

Don't know what your situation is, of course, or where you are.
    I am in New Brunswick Canada, My situtation is an approx. 7 year old agreement written on the corner of a piece of loose leaf paper:S with no terms laid out. Just, I promise to pay you back blah blah blah. I have a few more related questions posted if you have time to answer them. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2009, 04:52 PM

I've merged your threads. Please don't start multiple threads for the same question.

If they have a document, signed by you priomising to pay, that's legal and binding. Doesn't matter what its written on or how its worded.

Did you ever make any payments? If so when was the last payment?
    petertully Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 05:17 PM

If you borrowed it, why are you so unwilling to pay it back. Maybe you can make an arrangement to pay him something every month until the debt is wiped out. It really is the right thing to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations for a will in Canada? [ 2 Answers ]

My father (legally adopted me at the age of 7) was a canadian citizen. He and my mother divorced when I was 18 (now 38) - he passed away a few years back, yet my step brother and step sister took care of his estate and will without informing me that he passed away. I am sure once the divorce was...

What is the statute of limitations in canada [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations in canada regarding debt?

Statute of limitations/Canada [ 6 Answers ]

As no-one seems to have an answer to how long the duration of a debt is can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the collectability of a debt in Canada?:confused: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Statute of limitations for because Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I would find out what the statute of limitations for debt is in BC Canada? I'm trying to dispute a credit card debt that they tell me is from 2001. Thanks, any info appreciated.

Statute of limitations Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a bank trying to collect for a loan I co-signed for, back in 1994. Is this legal? Anyone know? Orville

View more questions Search