Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryan0804 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
    AC return vent size
    Maybe you can help me. My home has 2 zone heating/cooling. The AC units are 3 ton and 3.5 ton. I live in Arizona. Liquid lines were swapped out last year with 3/8" since 1/4" was the wrong size. The return vent hoses (1for each zone) are 16" round. The 3.5 has a 20x24 diffuser vent cover. The 3 ton has a 24" square one. I had readings on the 3 ton unit. He measured 575cfm. Would it help my efficiency to run an ADDITIONAL 12" flex return line to the air handler?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 04:22 AM

Yes it deffentally would you need to have 400 cfm per ton of cooling, so 1200 for 3 ton and 1400 for the 3 1/2.

16 in duct is supposed to carry around 1400 cfms if it is installed right with no kinks or bends. How ever inless you have a free flowing return air grill I dought the registar is allowing that much. Is you filter in the air handler or at the return grill?
    ryan0804 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 10:59 AM
    The filter is on the grill section. Would I benefit from installing a secondary 12" return vent? Thanks!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 11:03 AM

Yes you will get lots better performance from your system. I would think that a 10 in would do you fine.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 06:58 PM

I might add to the above posts that in order to move air one must also take into consideration the size of the supply ducts as well as the return, a sixteen inch duct only moving 575 cfm tells you that you have other issues. Good luck, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size vent for basement toilet? [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a house with a septic system. The basement toilet will drain to a sump and be pumped out to the septic system. What size does the vent need to be from this toilet to the vent header in the attic?

Waste/Vent Size [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchase a house built in 1968. I am trying to add a second bathroom on the main level. Yesterday, I decided to cut some of the existing vent lines (they're galvanized steel) in the home so that I could connect the vent lines from the new bathroom. I noticed that the old vent lines are...

Minimum vent size [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a full master bath away and inaccessible to the vent stack. I am using a 3" drain(PVC) for toilet, sink and shower. What is the minimum size vent stack I should use?

Minimum vent size? [ 7 Answers ]

Heya folks... What is the minimum practical vent size? I know most codes call for no smaller than 1.5", but what's the real minimum? It's just air..... I'm (eventually....) putting in a basement bath with either a traditional sewage ejector or a macerating ejector (Sani-Grind). The...

Correct size of Return Air Vent Opening [ 2 Answers ]

What is the correct size for a return air vent opening if I'm using a 4-ton 13SEER A/C? Thanks! Jeff

View more questions Search