Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bridge485 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 06:46 PM
    90 vs sweeping 90
    I am wondering what is the difference between a sweeping 90 and a regular 90. I am installing a pool and thought that a sweeping 90 would be better for flow. But not sure about the pressure.

Thanks,
    B
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 06:54 PM

A regular 90 happens in 1 connector, a right angle, a sweeping 90, or a sweep is a 90 with a radius on a section of conduit.
    In Electrical, we have to use a sweep or LB's for a 90 degree turn, can't use a 90 like in plumbing, as you cannot push a fish tape through.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:39 PM

Here are the pitures of the sweep 90 elbows, the second picture is of 2" long sweep 90 elbow SCH 80 CPVC, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:47 PM

The same thing Afaroo said is true to plumbing also. I always use a long sweep at the bottom of a stack.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 08:15 PM

Just to add a bit more info: in plumbing there are 4 basic types of 90s. Vent, short 90, regular sweep 90, and long sweep 90.

Vent 90 is used only in venting, Short 90 is used in venting and drains, medium and long 90 are used in drains and may be used in vents as well.

Just be careful not to use ABS 90's since they are Foam Core and will not hold pressure for extended periods. Schedule 40 PVC is just fine. Use Primer and Glue to glue (weld) fittings and pipe together.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:22 PM

Thanks Milo you described it very well.

Regards,
    John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 04:11 AM
    Hi all...

Hey bridge, if you are working on a pool then I would recommend that you use PVC pressure fittings... see picture. These are deeper socket and stand up to pressure over the long run much better than regular PVC fittings. These are the only fittings we use on pool pump systems!

I am not recommending schedule 80 PVC, but schedule 40 PVC and PVC pressure fittings... O.K.

They make long sweep 90s in pressure fittings, but I don't think you will find them easily. Best bet here will be to make your own long sweep 90s using two 45s glued together... ;)

Any PVC pipe/fittings that are expected to be exposed to sunlight should be painted silver to reduce possibility of UV light breaking down the pipe over time.

Let us know if you need more info...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking of getting a sweeping fringe but [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 19 and I think its time for a bit of a change. I really love long sweeping fringes that go over the side of your face but I'm worried that it won't suit me and I haven't had a fringe since I was9 and it looked awful. I'm quite a fan of the emo look, but I don't want it quite like that. I...

View more questions Search