Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trickyrick0465 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Size of A Coil for AC
    Hi Guys
    I want to buy an AC 2 ton but I have a fairly large air plenum on my furnace about 20 by 22 inches and any AC’s that I have looked at come with a smaller A Coil so if I used this it would greatly reduce my air flow. The A Coil looks like it is meant for a furnace in an apartment size furnace. Do manufactures just make the one size now? Is there any where I can get a larger A Coil or even a Slant Coil that might be of a larger size?
    Thanks
    Rick
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2006, 08:58 PM
    The coil boxes come in different sizes. A two ton coil will measure around 14 inches wide and 18 or so from front to back. You can make and transition to fit your plenum or you can have on made.
    You should determine how big of an AC you need and not just decide that you want a two ton.

Sep 9, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Thanks for responding
    That is exactly the size of the A coil and that is the size that comes with 1&1\2 ton as well. I can make the transition no problem but If I’m going to restrict the flow of air down from 20 by 22 to less than about 15 by 11 because your dimensions are the out side of the coil then why do manufacture’s of furnaces make there opening so big. Going from 20 by 22 to 15 by 11 this is a big difference. There must be an A coil out there that is closer to the size of my opening on the furnace
    Rick
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Sep 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyrick0465
    Thanks for responding
    That is exactly the size of the A coil and that is the size that comes with 1&1\2 ton as well. I can make the transition no problem but If I’m going to restrict the flow of air down from 20 by 22 to less than about 15 by 11 because your dimensions are the out side of the coil then why do manufacture’s of furnaces make there opening so big. Going from 20 by 22 to 15 by 11 this is a big difference. There must be an A coil out there that is closer to the size of my opening on the furnace
    Rick

The coil is sized to allow the right amount of air to pass through.

Look at your blower assembly to determine the minimum sized opening typically 10" x 10"

Sep 10, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Ok I know that the blower is about 10 inches by 10 inches. But what Im thinking is that if I were to install a plenum 10 by 10 then I would not get as much air flow as if I were to install a plenum 20 by 20. I know that the A Coil is sized for the AC unit, I just can't get my head around that fact that it will restrict my air flow dramaticly. Would it not make sense to insert an A Coil that was a bigger size letting more air through
    Thanks
    Rick
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Sep 10, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyrick0465
    OK I know that the blower is about 10 inches by 10 inches. But what I'm thinking is that if I were to install a plenum 10 by 10 then I would not get as much air flow as if I were to install a plenum 20 by 20. I know that the A Coil is sized for the AC unit, I just can't get my head around that fact that it will restrict my air flow dramatical. Would it not make sense to insert an A Coil that was a bigger size letting more air through
    Thanks
    Rick
    Actually the air needs time for exposure to the coil to give up its latent heat.
    If the air moves through too quickly you won't get the temperature difference needed to operate properly.

I know it sounds screwy , but one solution would be to oversize the indoor coil by say 1/2 a ton to get better De-humidification,I've done this on my own home, IE; 2-1/2 ton condencer w/ 3 ton evaporator coil.

This would give you a coil with an additional need for more air movement, a larger opening and , satisfy your need to have a coil fit the existing plenhum.

Sep 10, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    That sounds reasonable I think I will do that
    Thanks again for everyone's input
    Rick
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Sep 11, 2006, 01:10 PM
    I would agree and have done this also. Oversizing the coil is an old practice that works. Not that the smaller coil wouldn't, but I believe in oversizing the coil a bit to allow better cooling and less load on the system overall due to increased capacity...

Jun 3, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Does anyone know a web sit that has the different size coils with dimensions
    I would like to know the difference between a 2 1\2 ton and a 3 ton coil
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning an evaporator coil? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you recommend that I clean a dirty evaporator coil? I appreciate your help!

Central Air Coil Drain [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed a new central air/furnace system in my home. The furnace and A-coil are both Lennox, with a Haier condenser unit outside. The problem I'm having is with the drain tube on the A-coil drain. When I first started the system, it drained quite a bit of condensed water during the...

98 F-150 coil packs [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently purchased a 98 F-150 5.4L. When I test drove it it had no power and the engine studdered violently. When they repaired the truck they told me it was bad coil packs causing missfires. 10 days ago I picked the truck up running smooth and strong. Then yesterday it just started doing it...

I need a new heater coil and ignitor [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c guy told me I need a new heater coil and ignitor, but its going to be expensive. I am handy and electronically and mechanically inclined, can someone help me do it myself? Thanks!

Furnace coil blocked? [ 2 Answers ]

Our furnace heater coil is only 5 yrs old. We have little hot water pressure throughout the house. We have been told the coil element in our tankless system is blocked and we need a replacement coil. It is going to cost at least $650. An option is buying a separate water heater for $1600. We are...

View more questions Search