Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lily_daisy106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Rabbit Nipping me.friendly?
    I have a beautiful little rabbit who is nearly full grown (not sure how old she is) She is extremely friendly and when we go outside to pick her up she runs to the side of the cage and puts her paws on the side waiting until we pick her up. She grooms me while I am holding her and is an overall very friendly and inquisitive rabbit. While she is grooming me she often nips me however, is this affectionate or is she unhappy about something... I am not sure whether to tell her off or what?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 03:53 PM

Tell her off? What do you mean by that?

She's a rabbit, rabbits love to chew on things, even you.

If she doesn't seem distressed it's probably just nibbling, not aggression.

Keep in mind that rabbits don't really like being held, they just tolerate it, some not as much as others.

Let her come to you for attention, you'll both be happier.

Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 04:53 AM
    My bunny nips at my clothes when I lay on the ground with her, she hates being picked up, but loves having her cheeks scratched when she's on the ground. It's a struggle to get her back in her cage as she only stays still in my arms for about 10 seconds before the claws come out.
    Pets Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    My bunny nips at my clothes when I lay on the ground with her, she hates being picked up, but loves having her cheeks scratched when she's on the ground. It's a struggle to get her back in her cage as she only stays still in my arms for about 10 seconds before the claws come out.
    My Thumper is a notorious nibbler, if you have him on your lap for even 5 minutes you will end up with a hug hole in your clothing. We actually have a towel that's just his, that goes on our lap before he does to protect our clothes.

It could also be that the OP's bunny just doesn't have enough toys to nibble on. One thing that's important to know about rabbits, their teeth are always growing, never stop, so they need to be able to chew on stuff to grind down their teeth, otherwise you're looking at serious medical problems. Vets will grind down their teeth for you, but it's healthier and less stressful if it's done naturally.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 05:30 AM
    It's really hard here to find bunny specific toys so I buy them parrot toys. Just wooden blocks strung together mostly, but you have to check if the wood is safe for rabbits. Then I put bits of fruit and veg in between the blocks, they aren't expensive and it keeps them entertained trying to get to food out from the blocks :)

Another option that doesn't wear their teeth down but is still fun is the cardboard out of the center of toilet rolls! They are free (assuming you use toilet paper :p) and the minute they hit the ground they are shredded into tiny little pieces :D

The towel is a good idea Alty, not only do my clothes get bitten but I have to be careful what I wear when I pick up Dora because she sheds like you wouldn't believe, and she is white and tan too which makes wearing black fun lol... no amount of brushing can get the loose hair out! My other bunny Jackie isn't so bad, her coat is smoother and black and white.
    Pets Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 08:22 AM

I do the toilet paper roll and stuff it with timothy hay, they love it.

A good stress reliever for rabbits is telephone books. Not at all harmful and the rabbits love it.

The local humane society begs for used telephone books all the time for the rabbits in their care.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:58 AM
    I've heard telephone books are great, But ours always get thrown out before I remember to give it to them :o
    Lily_daisy106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 06:59 AM

hm.. will find some nice chew toys for her then =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten nipping [ 3 Answers ]

Our little kitten, has a nasty habit of nipping, he gets a piece of skin in between those two little fangs of his, it really hurts and he just can't seem to get it into his head that it is not allowed, he bites hard enough he breaks the skin, he'll chew on you like a hambone you give him the...

Friendly Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

What would make my husband agreeable and nice about me filing for divorce?:confused:

Cheating or being friendly? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 3 and a half years now, he's 8 years younger than I am, but this has never been a problem or even an issue. A few months ago, I found some messages between my boyfriend and an "old friend" of his... female of course. In this message, he proceeded to...

Puppy nipping other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 week old puppy of course is teething and nipping when playing. But I get nervous when he's playing with other dogs and is jumping and play nipping at them. The other dogs will start to growl etc... What do I do? Should I pick him up and stop him or let the other dog tell him no. (The dogs I...

Friendly with guys [ 4 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend was talking to a girl before me and him got together. I was upset that he was still communicating with her so we kept arguing about her every time she came to mind. Now that we are not together, I found out that she is friendly with a lot of guys around the area. Even though we are...

View more questions Search