Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SherryMoore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
    Difference between metoprolol tartrate and metoprolol succ'mate
    My husband has been on Metoprolol since his heart attack 3 years ago. We went to pick up his pescription (which the doctor called in) yesterday and he went to take it tonight and it is for Metoprolol Tart. What is the difference and should he take it without consulting with the doctor?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 06:46 PM
    One just enters the blood stream faster and stays in the system longer. They are basically the same, it's just the delivery in the body that is different.

They are interchangeable.
    Holistic Doctor Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 3, 2009, 08:24 PM

Whenever you come across any discrepancy in your doctor's prescription, it is always wide to get it clarified from your doctor's office itself.

However, in this instance, as J_9 has written, metoprolol succinate comes in delayed-release capsules, though its action is the same.

Metoprolol tartrate comes in the conventional release form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metoprolol succinate er vs metoprolol tartrate [ 14 Answers ]

I there a difference between metoprolol succinate er and metoprolol tartrate or just plain metoprolol? The pills look entirely differently. Are they both extended release? Do they work differently?

What is the difference between metoprolol tasan and metoprolol taeth? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking "metoprolol succ er 25mg tasan" for about a year. I just picked up a refill and it is a much larger tablet, and the label reads "metoprolol succ er 25mg taeth." I would like to know the difference between the "tasan" and the "taeth." I am having trouble finding either of those on...

Metoprolol Succinate vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

Are these medications the same?

Metoprolol Succinate ER vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 2 Answers ]

My family has a prescription for Toprol, both have the same milligrams. One prescription bottle has the generic Metoprolol Succinate ER and one has the generic Metoprolol Tartrate. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Metoprolol Succinate ER and Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between metoprolol succ ER metoprolol tartrate?

View more questions Search