Mar 22, 2009, 07:17 AM
    starting john deere after winter
    having difficulty starting 1 year old tractor... for the spring,

General info:
    I have the select series x300 lawn tractor/mower
    live in north east so it is sitting in cold shed
    had fuel stabilizer in tractor with 1/4 filled tank in shed
    battery is charged (trickle charger)
    I put some new fuel in, but only a little just in case I need work on fuel line etc.. so it is 1/4 to 1/3 rd filled
    I changed fuel filter still no luck
    when I turn key I hear fast tapping noise and the motor seems to crank(spin of fan?)

it just does not turn over

the only thing I have not changed other than filling fuel tank to top, is I did not change spark plugs but they are only 1 year old.

Any suggestions before I call and more importantly have to pay the John Deere people to come look at it.

Thank you
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 07:30 AM

Off the bat I see you putting old gas in the mower. It also was a 1/4 tank that's highly susceptible to moisture.

If its not turning over and clicking uguunt the battery is low or bad battery connections from starter to battery. Or both A solenoid can cause this also
    Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Mar 22, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Sorry saying I have to spread some reputation.. I think you answered my "car shock" question.. thanks

DO you think I should try filling (topping off) tank alll the way up with new gas first?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:30 PM

No its won't really get you anywhere. Condensation is just that. It takes way too much gas to dilute it. Use all new gas and that takes the gas guess here out of the loop. I use my old gas in an old truck to get rid of it when the tank is low. I run into the same problem from equipment sitting around in the winter.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Turned out to be battery... works fine after JD dealer looked at it... and changed battery... probably was damaged when it froze, even though I thawed and recharged it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L110 won't move after starting [ 11 Answers ]

I too have a John Deere Lawnmower L110 that will start but will not move. I read another that had the same problem but the answer was an obvious one and one that we have tried, pushing the rod in. I have looked at all the belts and they are in tact. I have no idea what is wrong. I hestiate to...

John Deere L110 Starting Problem [ 16 Answers ]

The mower will start, but it takes a while. When I turn the key it will just make a clicking sound or the starter will try to engage but doesn't seem to have enough power to turn the flywheel. I replaced the starter thinking that is the problem. The battery was replaced less than a year ago. The...

Trouble starting john deere lawn tractor model 345 [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has checked everything. He knows there is no spark, but that is not the case all the time. He can crank it over, but only 1 time out of 20 there will be a spark, but it seems to be completely random when it finally produces a spark. Once the mower does start it quits spontaneously as...

Starting John Deere riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I have a John Deere riding mower, model L118, and it cranks forever before it starts. Quite often the battery goes dead from cranking and I have to jump start it. How do you position your gas feed and choke levers when starting this machine? Also, is there any reason the battery does not charge...

John Deere Riding Mower puts out white smoke when starting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a John Deere LT 155 Riding Mower that when started put our White Smoke from front engine area. Not sure why any suggestions

View more questions Search