Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azdriver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
    How do I fight a failure to yield ticket
    I was involved in a car accident this weekend and I think I'm innocent.
    I pulled up to a stop sign- checked traffic in both directions- saw nothing and proceeded through the intersection. Half way through, a fast moving car came into the intersection. I gassed it to get through asap but the girl in the other car clipped the back end of my car.
    She stopped, got out and came over to me and apologized profusely and said " I'm f... ed, I just had 3 beers. The police came , did their investigation and charged her with dui but gave a me ticket for failure to yield- essentially making me responsible for the crash.
    Here's why I think I'm innocent- there's a hill just before the intersection that blinds the driver to oncoming traffic.

I went back the next day with a stop watch and measuring tape. At 30 mph ( the posted speed) it takes about 11-12 seconds for a car to get to the intersection from the point on the hill where you can see oncoming traffic. It only takes 4 seconds to get through the intersection- plenty of time unless the oncoming vehicle is speeding. I did my calculations and figured her speed to be 65- 80 mph.
    How can I yield to a vehicle that was never in my sight?

Any thoughts- should I fight this or just suck it up and go on?
    Thanks
    azdriver
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by azdriver View Post
    how do I fight a failure to yield ticket
    Hello driver:

You go to court and plead not guilty. They'll have a hearing and or "trial", and you present your evidence, the cop'll present his, and the judge will decide.

There's a good chance the cop won't even show up.

Do I think you'll win? I don't know.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 02:21 PM

A couple of good things, go to court and plead not guilty, if there is no one there to testify against you, it is very likely they may dismiss the charges.

But yes, legally you are guilty, not what you want to hear but you by law are suppose to "NOT" enter unless it is clear and you know you can process across.

So if the police officer shows up and has any notes what so ever, odds are you will lose, but you have nothing to lose on it.

But even if you get out of the ticket, the fact that you pulled out makes you liable for the insurance ( the civil issues) so your company will have to pay anyway.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2009, 02:29 PM

I would fight it. I would point out how long it takes to get through the intersection and then point out the damage was to the rear end of your car. That should show that you had the right of way in the intersection. That along with her DUI, should get you off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failure to Yield to Green? [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently in a car accident. I was coming to a light that has the green arrow or yield to green. The green arrow was showing as I went through the intersection, then a car coming from the other direction hit me. There was another vehicle from his direction that was sitting at the light. ...

Can I fight a failure to yield ticket in Arizona? [ 2 Answers ]

I got in a car accident and was given a failure to yield ticket even though the other car ran a red light. Any way to fight this? Here is what happened... I was waiting in the intersetion for traffic to clear to make a left turn. The light went from green to yellow to red. The intersection...

How would you fight this traffic ticket? [ 30 Answers ]

I got this ticket in February this year for failing to yield from private drive. I was leaving the parking area at school to cross the main street, with 1 lane in each direction. As I approached the intersection I was going to stop to check the traffic in both ways. I saw the vehicle coming from...

Failure to yield. Would you fight this ticket? [ 9 Answers ]

A few days ago I was issued a ticket for Failing to Yield, which resulted in an accident. I was pulling left out of a private drive, onto a road with 2 north bound lanes, 2 south bound lanes, and a turning lane. When I approached the end of the driveway an extended bus pulled up to turn down the...

View more questions Search