Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishangel_sdwl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Value of a 1000 Confederate Note Dated 1861
    After my grandfather passed away I found some very old paper money in the bottom of an old dresser drawer. Among these items I found a large bill supposedly from the Confederacy. The description : One side is in black and white with the words Twelve months afterdate in script at the top; in large letters, The Confederate States of America will pay to Bearer ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS with interest at Ten cents pr day Montgomery, May 28, 1861 and signed by Alex B.? Register and Eb. Elmore? Treasurer. There is a picture, of the register and treasurer I'm assuming in each of the bottom corners. In the top left hand corner a large M with 1000 on coins it appears and on the other a large 1000 with 1000 in coins around it. At the very bottom it says Receivable in payment of all dues except export duties. On the reverse is the same only in green and white. This note is in near perfect condition. I'm unsure how authentic if at all. Can someone help? Or at least point me in the right direction?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 10:06 AM

If it is real, it is very valuable -- worth thousands of dollars. However, there are many out there that are not real.

The originals of these notes were hand-signed, usually in brown ink. They never used yellow parchment-type paper and a lot of replicas are printed on this so they will look old.

Check out this web site. It claims that you can tell fake bills from real ones by their serial numbers.

BogusCSA_RoTx

If you have a real one, you can sell it and share the proceeds with me ;-)
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:31 PM

IRESHANGEL_SDWL - I will get back to you on these Monday night ;;THANKS F.B.E.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 09:53 PM

Ireshangel_sdwl - CHECK the dates on your bill again :: My book has {March, 9TH,1861}? INSTEAD OF MAY<28TH ,1861:: ANSWERS- ON THE BOTTOM CORNERS -RIGHT- {ANDREW JACKSON} & on the left is Jhon C.CALHOUN;BANK was -National bank Note co. N.Y.{ THERE WERE 607WERE ISSUED}The
    SIGNATURES were !- Alex B.REGUte AND EB. ELMORE, treasure >> A.B.P. -APPROXMATE BUYING PRICR ::: GOOD - { NOTES THAT ARE HEAVLY CIRCUATED<WORN<Stained orScribbled on edges, COULD BE FRAYEDOR DOG EARED,THERE could be some holes ,no larger then a pin pucation,{ BUT NOT ON THE CENTRAL PORTATION OF DESIGN:: #1- A.B.P. - $ 6,500.00 ;; #2- GOOD- $9,750.00
    #3- UNC- RARE ;; WAITING FOR YOUR CONFERMITION OF THE CORRECT NOTE: PLEASE LET ME KNOW :: HAVE A VERY NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS:: FG.B.E.
    JOSEJJJ435 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 03:58 AM
    How do I know if is real is very big bill king of yellow paper with black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VALUE OF Confederate money [ 6 Answers ]

What Is Value Of Confederate Fifty Dollar Bill Fair Shape Date 1864 No.1844s

Confederate money [ 5 Answers ]

hello, I have 1 paper bill in very good condition dated 2/19/1864. Left side says "2 year after ratification of a treaty of peace" right side says "between the confederate states and the u.s. of america" it's number is hand written 20744. It is $10 printed in Richmond. Have pictures of it and...

Confederate money [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Confederate 20 dollar bill. It is dated February 17th 1864. What is the value of said bill?

Confederate and coin value [ 14 Answers ]

I have a confederate paper money 1000 mongamery 1861 I wanted to know its value

View more questions Search