Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmythedog Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Water coming through concrete slab floor
    My Daughter has water coming up through her dining room floor, she is in a four unit condo, plumbers claim the leak is coming from tree roots way out in the yard and claim after removing tree and repair leak her problem with the water infiltration will be cured. I feel that the integrity of the slab has been compromised and damaged from the water leak and it also needs attention... Of the four units hers is the only one with water coming in. Also could there be plumbing buried in that slab that could be damaged and leaking. The water is clear and does not seem to be sewer. And would there be insurance responsibility for these damages. She lives in Georgia, near Atlanta.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 07:25 PM

My biggest concern is how much water was under the footers and how long was the water leaking.

How many stories above that floor/footer system?

I don't quite buy the lines way out in the yard was causing this unless its up hill from her leak.

I would use a metal probe. 1/2 piece of steel rebar and see how the ground is around the footers. We use a T probe to help find drain fields.

I would send a letter to the Condo Association just to inform them of your worries. This would help document the leak and dates. Send if certified for your records.

Things may dry out and be fine but I would check it out while the ground is still wet.

Take pictures of walls and ceilings in case there is major settlement in the next several months.

Get a couple of house inspectors to look over the situation.

The best and most expensive is get an engineer out to asses the situation.

Many time there is plumbing in a slab construction. Haven't seen one yet that didn't have plumbing under the slab. How would a toilet drain if no plumbing was there.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Mar 5, 2009, 07:35 PM

Concur with your thoughts on the slab integrity. The tree roots may well have caused the problem but the leak is in the condo not the yard. Removing the tree & its roots may be necessary. The damage caused by the roots is more likely beneath the condo.
    A phone call to the insurance agent is advised for clarification on coverage.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Tree roots causing water to come up through the slab? Interesting! Has anybody bothered to check for a leak in the water pipes under the slab?
    To check to see if you have a hidden leak first shut down everything in the house, no flush, no drinks of water, and if you are on a meter go out and check the little pointer in the gage. It should not move or creep. If it does you have a leak. If you're on a pump then check the pressure gage after the pump builds up to pressure and shuts off. The gage should not fall and the pump come back on. If so then you have a leak. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete slab:Toilet flange below floor level [ 4 Answers ]

I am Installing a hardwood floor on a concrete slab. In order for that type of installation I will need to build up the sub-floor with 1/4 plywood alone with 3/4 hardwood floor. I am installing this in the bathroom. The flange of for the toilet will be about an 1" below the floor level. How do I...

Raising a concrete floating slab in my ground floor Apt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ground floor apartment that has a floating slab concrete floor that is beginning to settle as much as 3 inches in some areas. The interior partition walls are not tied in to the structure frame but are setting on the slab floor. Some areas under the floor have settled as much as 36 inches...

Water Leak in Concrete Slab Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I live in San Jose, CA in a 10-year old home with concrete slab foundation. I noticed wetness in the carpet in the guest closet. The closet is in the middle of the first floor and far away from any tap/faucet/bathroom. I removed the carpet and found that the floor is wet. After thoroughly...

Shower P-trap in a basement with concrete slab floor [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, The bathroom in the basement has a 2.5" raised floor, the new shower has a very low base (the shower pan is about 1" above the floor). The P-trap I found need about 7.5" vertical clearance. Without rising shower base, what is the best way to make room for th P-trap? If I have to...

Removing Thinset from Concrete Floor Slab [ 2 Answers ]

I removed my Tile from a bathroom and the thiset under it will not come up off the concrete floor slab. I don't want to build up the floor much so putting a cement based leveler isn't an option except maybe to even it up a little bit. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove it? I've been chiseling...

View more questions Search