Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seattlemiss Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Can a 5 month old puppy get a female dog pregnant
    Our older female dog has just come into heat, we have recently got a puppy who is now 5 months old, and he has been getting pretty friendly with her since she's been in heat.

Can he get her pregnant, his testicles have not dropped yet, is that a good sign, we can't get her spayed as she has a weak heart, we are planning on getting him fixed soon, as we don't want any unwanted puppies, and plus the way her heart is she probably won't make it through giving birth to puppies anyway.

So please any advice would be great
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 10:15 AM

At five months old he could probably go through the motions, but it wouldn't do any damage, just get your older female upset and scared. Neutering is done at 6 months and all shots have to be put to date before hand.
    seattlemiss Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2009, 11:01 AM
    So the good news is he probably won't be able to do anything anyway, does it help that his testicles haven't come down yet
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlemiss View Post
    so the good news is he probably won't be able to do anything anyway, does it help that his testicles haven't come down yet
    Well, yes, but have him into the vet soon.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

A lot of vets will neuter at 4 months so check with your vet. Obviously, the sooner the better.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 6, 2009, 01:40 PM

Even if he can't actually impregnate her he could still cause a uterine infection if he managed to accomplish any small feat, so I would still keep a close eye and speak to your vet about neutering as soon as possible.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 08:45 PM

The solution to avoiding an unwanted pregnancy between your two dogs is simple. When your female is in heat, make sure you keep the dogs securely separated. I would also be very careful about keeping your female away from any and all other males during a heat cycle. The males won't know that getting her pregnant could put her life in danger, and they're famous for being able to rip through hell, glass, steel, ice and fire to be able to reach their new love.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 04:49 AM
    ^^^ isn't that true! Our female great dane jumped through a glass window to get to her 'boyfriend' Don't worry though, not a scratch on her... just a very expensive midnight call.

The earliest I've heard of a puppy successfully producing puppies is 7 months, I could be wrong though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 3 month old female daschund. She is very hard to potty train. [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: :eek: My 3 month old female daschund will not learn to potty outside. She will go to the door and unirnate at the door. She will also be outside for 30 minutes and come right in and urinate. Sometimes when you go to pick her up, she will run away and urinate. Is there something we can do...

Female beagle with itchy bum worm tab given a month ago [ 3 Answers ]

Help Female beagle given worm tab a month ago due next one in Feb 2008. Now dragging bum on floor and on the carpet any suggestions :confused:

Female puppy [ 4 Answers ]

Hello After my female puppy urinates she has this stringy mucus stuff hanging from her peepee area is this normal

Suckling 6 Month old Female! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi am new here my name is Marlene. I have a 6 month old cat that is suckling on its own arm usually in the morning just before we leave to go to work and school. This has been happening since we got her. We also have her sister and she does not do it. She will meow then she will put her two...

Something Is Wrong With My 5 Month Old, Female Shih Tzu Dog! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,Ok My 5 Months Old ShihTzu Dog Has Been Jerking and When She Starts Barking She Starts Barking and It Kind of Freaks Me and My Family Out But It Kind of Scares Me,Because Out Of Nowhere She Will Start doing This. Please If You KNow IF This Is A Trait Of All Shih Tzus Or If Something Is Wrong...

View more questions Search