Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quietgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Not the father but signed the birth certificate.
    My son's father got married to a woman who was already pregnant. She convinced him to sign the birth certificate when the baby was born so they would have the same name. The baby is now a year old and they are getting divorced. Will he be required to pay child support even though this is not his biological child?
    atl30 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 05:27 PM
    From much experience with the court systems, unfortunately since he did sign the birth certificate he may have to pay child support because he is the one named on the certificate, unless he gets a paternity test to prove he is not the biological father and then the court may then remove his name from it
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 07:45 PM

Yes at this point he will. And in some states he may have to pay even with a DNA test. Some states will not allow a challenge after a certain time frame.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:56 PM

Are you sure he's not the father? I would not take him at his word at this point.

It is not necessary for him to be on the birth certificate for the baby to have his name. So I feel it's POSSIBLE your married boyfriend has invented a reason to satisfy you.

Also, how old is your son? Was he born before or after this other baby?
    quietgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 10:14 AM
    I know he is not the father. He met her after we broke up when she was already 6 months pregnant. Our son is three.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2009, 01:22 PM

It may depend on where they live. Since he signed the birth certificate knowing the child was not actually his, that can play a significant role and he may find it difficult to change things.

If he had signed it thinking the child was his, only to find out later it wasn't, that would be a different story.

He should look into the laws of where you are regarding paternity, birth certificates, and legal responsibility.
    GeorgeMcCasland Posts: 42, Reputation: -5
    -

Mar 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
    This fully depends on your particular state laws. He should request a DNA test. If it's refused, go for custody. The mother is still allowed to use it to prevent custody, but she forfeits any child support claim. Here's what he needs to know.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    I’ve been a Father’s Rights Advocate for 20 years.

Many think the courts are rigged against dads, but in reality, it is more about attorneys unwilling or lacking the knowledge to truly fight for the father's rights. This is why it is important to learn how to interview and hire the right attorney. It is also important to do as much as possible on your own and not pay the attorney to do it.

Part of the problem with getting your rights knowing what to do to prove your case, and how to remind the judge of their responsibilities. Let me start with the judge.

Always take people with you to court who are not there to testify. Make sure they are sitting where the judge can see them, each equipped with a tablet and pen to take notes. It’s best to use a Court Watch Form designed for this purpose. I have one in the manual at Dads House.

If the judge is not doing his job, using the info from this form, you can, appeal, and/or get the judge sanctioned and removed from the case. You file a complaint with the State Supreme Court at your state capital.

Start keeping a daily journal of all your activities. The most common way to prevent a father from getting his rights through the courts is a false allegation, usually sexual. Over 60% of divorcing father are accused of child sexual abuse, of which only 4% are found to have any relevance, but there are no penalties for doing so. A daily journal is your number one piece of evidence in court and you can even refer to it while on the stand.

Gather evidence. Check the site below to see if it is illegal to record conversations without the other person knowing. If your state does not have a law either way, than it defaults to the federal ruling which says one person in a conversation must know they are being recorded. You’re that one person. In Missouri it is specifically legal, in Kansas there is no mention either way. If you live in two different states, and one has a law against it, than it applies when the call originates from within that state,
    "Can We Tape?"

Now, you can't just record, you also have to transcribe it into the daily journal.

If you want to learn how to do all this go to Dads House in Yahoo Groups. There's an educational manual in the file section that can teach you what you need to know. Take the time to learn what you can and should do.

DadsHouse : Building a Shelter for Fathers/Children
    GiveKidsAChoice : Bird Nest Custody
    Fathers & Families
    Parental Alienation and Parental Alienation Syndrome Home Page
    Murraystate Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2009, 05:54 PM

I hate to say this, but I think he will have to pay as well. My friend's ex wife got pregnant by another man, that man died in a car crash and when the baby was born instead of putting the child's father's name she actually signed my friend's name. He is now paying child support for his two children and the child who's father died. He has tried to take it to court, but they said his name is on the birth certificate so S.O.L.

On the flip side... the child does need a father, specially if "he" has been playing father already. Maybe he should keep that relationship.
    bornoutofaffair Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    My son's father got married to a woman who was already pregnant. She convinced him to sign the birth certificate when the baby was born so they would have the same name. The baby is now a year old and they are getting divorced. Will he be required to pay child support even though this is not his biological child?
    Yes he would have to pay childsupport. I am born out of an affair where my mother cheated on Steve with his best friend who is my bio father. I learned this when I was the age of 10:(:mad: I don't remember ever asking her about it, but she told me. So on that note yes he has to pay the alimony.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Dumb move signing that... just like legal adoption... when the signature goes on the line... you bought it, lock stock and barrel for all its worth.

Do I think its right forcing a guy to pay for a kid that's not biologically his own?. NO... and a resounding no. But my opinion does not make law. The biological father should be forced to pay. And except in the case of rape... the woman know who she slept with... DNA will prove which one completed the task.

But in many cases he would likely get shafted having to pay... even if he didn't sign it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bornoutofaffair View Post
    yes he would have to pay childsupport. I am born out of an affair where my mother cheated on Steve with his best friend who is my bio father. I learned this when I was the age of 10:(:mad: I dont remember ever asking her about it, but she told me. So on that note yes he has to pay the alimony.

Alimony has nothing to do with child support.

This is a March 2009 thread - not sure the OP has come back.

Maybe it's time to close.
    plowing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 08:16 AM
    My son and his girlfriend had a baby a year ago. He signed birth certificate and declaration of parentage. They just broke up , she filing for support. He never had a dna done, so he got one done. Results came back he is not the biological father. What do we do to get his name off certificate
    plowing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 08:18 AM
    What if u signed birth certificate and parental rights? How can u get taken off
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 08:51 AM

Plowing... you are better off starting your own thread rather than piggybacking on someone else's where its #1 a Different issue, and #2 less likely to be addressed.
    pinkholly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 06:06 AM
    I am looking on ifomation about a friend putting his name on his parteners birth certificate as the dad and is prepeared to look after the child. But her biological dad has returned after leaving her mum when she told him she was pregnant. Will he have any rights??
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2011, 09:07 AM

Yes, if he's the biological father he has rights. He will probably have to go to Court to exercise those rights, though.

Your "friend" is committing a crime if she knowingly puts someone's name on because, knowing that person is NOT the father.
    JAY03_1986 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 03:20 PM
    I don't know but I will get back to this I am going threw the same myself I was married to my wife since 2008 and in 2010 she cheated on me and got pregnant, and had that child and that made me question my forst child so I'm going to take a dna test and I hope he is mine but if he is not I wonder will I have to pay child support or will I be held responsible forced by the court system or do I have a choice cause I would have believed my son was mine until the recent incident.
    sanai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 09:44 AM
    Can a divorced woman change the name her child's father by the man's name that she is going to marry?
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Where?
    pammanning3646 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
    In Ohio can a man get into trouble with the law for signing a birth certificate when he knew the child was not his.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signed birth certificate (not the father) [ 2 Answers ]

Two weeks ago I signed a birth certificate in Texas and a few days I later I took an informational paternity test. The test came back negative... 0 percent that I am the father. I went to open a case in the child support office and they refused to open up a case because they said that I already...

Proving paternity when another man signed the birth certificate? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok so here's the backround for the story. My fiancée has a 5 yr old daughter, the problem is he's not her legal father. Another man signed the affidavite(sp?) when she was born and he is listed as the father on the birth certificate. She knows the man on the birth certificate and "knows" he is dad,...

Father not on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

If the father of my child is not on the birth certificate and the baby has my last name does he have any rights?

Should I put the father on birth certificate or not? [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of a teenage girl who is about to give birth to a daughter. She is no longer in relationship with the baby's father and doesn't know whether to list him on the birth certificate. She is also considering moving back to Mexico (her country of origin). Someone told her that...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search