Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suzwest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Lower Dentures Only
    I am contemplating getting a lower denture only and leaving all my top teeth in tact. Has anyone ever done this and is what is recovery time (i.e. when new dentures can be worn) Thanks!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 07:39 PM

It's generally not recommended to do just lowers, actually, in the 30+yrs I've been in the dental business I have never come across a client with their own upper teeth and a complete lower denture.

If there are any lower teeth that can be saved, you are better off to do that and get a partial denture on the bottom. Lower dentures are much more difficult to wear than uppers as there is no suction to hold them in.

Once teeth are removed the bone begins to resorb and you start to lose the boney ridge which in years to come will make it even more difficult to keep a lower denture in.

If you still want to have all your lower teeth removed, consider having a couple of implants placed to hold a lower denture in more securely.

Good luck.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2009, 10:59 PM

Leave at least some teeth... canine to canine (I-tooth) at least , and get a lower partial.. why do you want to get the lowers extracted?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 12:24 AM

I have the same question as Amir, is there a particular reason you want to have your lower teeth removed? It's best if you can salvage any of the teeth to do so because it'll be easier to stabilize the denture. If you choose to have your teeth removed, you can get what's called an Immediate Denture which will be a temporary denture that you can wear for a couple months while your gums heal. The Immediate Denture will actually help the gums heal a little faster. Once the healing is complete, you'll need to go back and either have them replaced or relined. Relining is another temporary fix where a material is added to the denture to accommodate for the gum healing/shrinkage. So the healing is definitely a lengthy process, to say the least, but yes there will be something that you can wear right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lower left abdomen and lower backpain [ 3 Answers ]

My lower left abdomen really hurts with my lower backpain and its just happen right after my husband and I have sex,but before that I frequently feel numb un my left arm and leg. :confused: someone help me...

Lower dentures [ 1 Answers ]

I am on the way to getting upper and lower dentures. Can I have a lower denture made that will allow me to keep my 4 front teeth and replace all the others? My Eye teeth are crooked but the fronts are nice. Need advice Snowy

New upper dentures [ 1 Answers ]

New upper denture wearer. The roof of my mouth is very, very painful. Have had two adjustments. What can I do?

Dentures [ 4 Answers ]

I have dentures and have had them for about 4 years. I keep hearing that if they don't fit right it could be bad for my health. I do glue mine in but I don't really think that they don't fit. Is gluing them in all the time a bad thing to be doing?

Need dentures? [ 0 Answers ]

I am just starting with a new dentist after about 7 years of not seeing one. I have always had bad teeth and dental problems. The situation now is - On the top, I have 3 missing teeth, one tooth half-missing (fillings fell out and it is barely there), three loose teeth due to possible gum...

View more questions Search