Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HighandDryinnNy Posts: 84, Reputation: 17

Feb 26, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Do I need a license for Housecleaning?
    Hello all! My story is not that much different than your own, money is tight these days and I am in need of another source of income. A girlfriend of mine about two hours away from me told me she posted an ad on Craigslist offering cleaning services. Now this is something that appeals to me, I have always had a knack for cleaning and no job is too much. (I'm very results oriented.) My question is the legal issue. I do not want to post this ad and be sued for something outrageous! I know at a certain point I'd have to start claiming on my taxes, but I do not expect to be making that much. Hopefully just pick up a few customers and stick to that. Any advice? Should I post? Thank you so much!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:16 PM

If you are asking about working off the books, not paying taxes (no matter how much or how little you earn) no one is going to give you advice on how to do that. It is, of course, fraudulent and illegal.

You should be bonded and insured - minimally - if you are going to work in other people's houses. Some areas require licensing, others do not. Without bonding you are personally liable for anything that is broken, missing, damaged - or if that's the allegation.

Feb 26, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If you are asking about working off the books, not paying taxes (no matter how much or how little you earn) no one is going to give you advice on how to do that. It is, of course, fraudulent and illegal.
    I didn't realize it was illegal to do this. That is why I love this site, so informative!:) I guess I'm trying out all of my options that would work with my schedule, and this sounded like a good opportunity, however I am not trying to do anything that would get me into trouble. Id like to rephrase my question then, and ask how would I go about starting this kind of small business up?
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HighandDryinnNy View Post
    I didn't realize it was illegal to do this. That is why I love this site!:) I guess I'm trying out all of my options that would work with my schedule, and this sounded like a good opportunity, however I am not trying to do anything that would get me into trouble. Id like to rephrase my question then, and ask how would I go about starting this kind of small business up?

I would say check to see you need a license, checking into insurance and bonding, have some fliers made with prices and then either hand them out, stuff mailboxes (if it's legal in your community), hang some in grocery stores, that type of thing.

Good luck. All you need is one customer to begin referring you to her friends!

Feb 26, 2009, 03:39 PM

JudyKayTee, thank you for your help. Where would I go to inquire about this information? I'm sure I could check online, but talking to someone in person to confirm would be ideal.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 01:48 AM

Hi, HighandDryinnNy!

You should be directing your inquiries to city officials where you'll be working in order to find out specifically what you need in order to operate your business, where you'll be operating it.

Sure, it's illegal not to declare your income. But, concerning advertising on the Internet, it's not hard at all, but it does take a little effort and time to set it up.

I have a number of small businesses that I operate. Almost all of my new business comes from what I've placed on the Internet. Advertising on the Internet works so well for me, that I've discontinued my ads in the local Yellow Pages of the phone book.

After almost four years of posting ads and websites on the Internet, I probably have at least several thousand ads out there. Other than time and paying for some electricity to operate my computer, it has never cost me a cent beyond those things.

If you would like to know more about how to advertise and market your business, please let me know.

Thanks!
    ConfusedinMD112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
    I would like to talk to Clough off this site - to ask some questions about my own interest in starting a cleaning business - is that possible

ConfusedinMD
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedinMD112 View Post
    I would like to talk to Clough off this site - to ask some questions about my own interest in starting a cleaning business - is that possible

ConfusedinMD

No, it's not.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
    You can however start your own thread as others do and ask your question/s.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a license or something? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I'm going to start taking photos for people and charging them. I was wondering if I needed a license or permit or something to do this? 'cause I don't want to end up getting in trouble for doing this. So any help would be great. (:

License [ 1 Answers ]

Do I Need A License To Find Auto Parts For Other People

Bonding for housecleaning business [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a housecleaning business, sole proprietor, no employees. How and where do I get 'bonded' and what (if any) is the difference between being 'bonded' and 'insured'? Thanks!

Housecleaning business [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requierements to start a housecleaning business in sacramento,ca?

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search