Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Stairwell ceiling height
    Is there a building code calculator for minimum clearance of stairwell ceiling based on stair rise/run etc.

We are finishing our basement, and have turned the stairs half way down. There is a major drain pipe that limits the ceiling clearance in the low part of the stairwell. We could move the pipe.

The lowest point is about 82" from the step edge to the ceiling. I notice it because I'm 6'2". It really comes down to a safety issue. (The steps are code, 7.0" rise, 10.5" run.)
    Name:  stairwell 2.png
Views: 6301
Size:  1.3 KB
    Thanks!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 01:33 PM

In my town its 6'8" min. a standard door height.
    I'm 6'2+ and got to many bumps because of low headers and clearances.

Check your local codes and use that or just go with 6'8'

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Feb 24, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Well, it looks like I have 6'10" which is above minimum code. For a stairwell that I plan to go up and down about 20 times a day, that still seems a bit short. I suppose it comes down to personal preference.

Anyone care to weigh in with good reasons to make it higher? The total basement (half anyway) finishing job is coming in at about $25k, another $400 seems like a small amount to make it aesthetically more pleasing... :confused:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 04:06 PM

Pwd77. If you can get more height especially the 20 times a day go for all you can get!!

Many times I'm doing re hap in peoples homes weather plumbing or total renovations and the closer ceilings on the stair towers always makes me subconsciously bend my head no matter what. Its being tall like us that we constantly are aware of things like low add signs in groceries lines etc.

So go for the MAX.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Feb 24, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Pwd77. if you can get more height especially the 20 times a day go for all you can get!!!
    That's my gut feeling too, thanks for the opinion.

Any others out there?
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2009, 08:36 AM

I'm finishing my basement right now also. I relocated the pipe connecting the outside compressor to the air handler. It would only have lowered the ceiling 3" in part of the basement to accommodate it in place, but would have complicated my ceiling drywall installation. I believe that it was well worth it.

I don't think you would regret having more headroom in the stairwell.

Feb 25, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 435Studio View Post
    I'm finishing my basement right now also. I relocated the pipe connecting the outside compressor to the air handler. It would only have lowered the ceiling 3" in part of the basement to accommodate it in place, but would have complicated my ceiling drywall installation. I believe that it was well worth it.

I don't think you would regret having more headroom in the stairwell.
    Thanks for the input!
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 25, 2009, 11:58 AM

I'd go with 7' as a minimum height if possible, 6'-8 is code but it feels really tight to a 6' tall person.
    Rexinator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 08:15 AM
    IBC 2009 Code 1009.2 PG230 HEADROOM
    Stairways shall have a minimum head room clearance of 80" (6'-8") measured vertically from the edge of nosings to ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stairwell pressurization system [ 1 Answers ]

Does any body have guidelines for designing of the stairwell pressurization system for smoke control?

Walk Out Stairwell with no drain [ 7 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home which was built in the late 1800's. It has a below-grade concrete stairwell walkout (from the basement to the backyard). When I first walked through the home I noticed that rain water had built up in the bottom of the stairwell but I assumed the drain was covered by...

Stairwell light need second switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stairwell going to the basement with only one switch controlling the light. I want to have switch at both top and bottom, but the wiring is behind the sheetrock. Is there a way to add a switch from the light side not the existing switched side? Thanks Ricky St. John

View more questions Search