Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KarenES Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Replacing tile shower walls with cultured marble vs. acrylic?
    We have a 36 x 36 shower in our master bath that has a fiberglass base and tile walls. The tile is leaking and we would like to replace the walls. We had a "bath fitter" type company come give us an estimate for their acrylic wall insert - $4000. Our home improvement guy (that we really trust) can put in cultured marble for us for around $2000. What are the advantages of an acrylic insert vs. cultured marble. Seems like acrylic will last longer but is it worth that much more? The house is 12 years old (not very well built) and we plan to stay here at least another 5 years or so. Thanks for any input anyone has!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 05:04 PM

Cultured marble is usually ground stone dispersed in an acrylic resin. The "acrylic" that you were quoted is probably solid acrylic. The problem with both of them is that they can be scratched fairly easily.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 05:08 PM

I'd go with ceramic or porcelin tile. Once you remove you old tile you will know if the original wall board is OK to reuse. I would like to see you remove it if it is anything less than Hardiboard or wonderboard, or cement board. Folks used to use greenboard or blueboard, no longer acceptable for wet areas. By the way, both guys are taking you to the cleaners. My labor for installing Hardibacker, tiles and grouting would be under $1k plus materials.

Feb 24, 2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info. If we use the cultured marble for the walls only is the scratching easily going to be a problem? As long as we don't use harsh cleaners on the walls? We do not want to use tile again ballengerb1. My question is what do you think of cultured marble vs. acrylic.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 08:43 AM

If you're careful, you can minimize the scratch problem. Eventually, however, it will get scratched.

Feb 24, 2009, 09:15 AM

Both products are softer than ceramic but installation techniques and costs are similar, that's why I recommend ceramic. Can you explain why you'd rather not have tile. Many folks do have ciltured marble in their bathrooms and are Ok with the results but it is softer and harder to keep clean over the long run.

Feb 24, 2009, 10:28 AM

I'd rather not have tile just because of the upkeep - grout getting dirty/moldy, needed cleaned and sealed every year, etc. Also, everyone's opinion of our shower seems to be that the tile might pop out again like it did before - whether that's because the base of the shower is not set in concrete or just poor construction of the house or who knows what.

Feb 24, 2009, 01:25 PM

Not sure who is giving this advice but they are off. Today you can buy a 2 part epoxy grout that never stains. Is the cultured marble you are consiering a complete unit or tiles?

Feb 24, 2009, 02:32 PM

The marble would be a complete unit. Wouldn't the grout still need sealed periodically? What if the tiles shifted? Could this cause them to loosen as they have already done in the shower? We now cannot use the shower because of loose tiles. We had a leak down into the study below.

Feb 24, 2009, 02:38 PM

No, the stainless grout is really great. Like any surface you need to wipe down the tile and grout but maybe once a month. The tiles shifted because they were not installed correctly or the job is very, very old. When we lay ceramic tile its mortared onto Hardibacker board woth modified thinset mortar. I have no nidea how old your shower is and who did the work. I have done showers this way for 25 years and never had one call back.

Feb 24, 2009, 02:55 PM

The house is only 12 years old but it was built by Ryland and it is definitely not quality work. So you are saying that if the tiles are put in correctly that they will not shift? Even if the base shifts or was not installed properly?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custom cultured marble shower base installation [ 60 Answers ]

I'm putting in a 31" x 60" custom made cultured marble shower in my basement and I'm not sure how to hook up the drain. The shower base has a recessed hole for the drain assy. The pipe coming out of the floor is 2" PVC. The hole it comes up through is about 8" dia. And is filled with gravel. Can...

Tile shower wall to cultured marble base transition [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cultured marble shower base without the usual 3/8" lip along the edges; it's just a flat surface. All of the information I've found so far for transitioning between the backer board and shower pan with a tile wall include the lip in the diagram. I'm wondering without the lip should the...

Tile & Cultured Marble [ 2 Answers ]

Can one rough up and tile right over 1/4" Cultured Marble wall panels?

Can I Tile over an acrylic shower pan? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing a shower... have removed all old tile, cleaned out mold, and was hoping to pull out the shower pan and put in tile. I have been attempting to get the drain out but now after reading this website I realize that may be a bit more difficult than I had hoped. Is it...

View more questions Search