Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Micio Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
    I still don't have my conditional green card
    I have married my wife almost 8 years ago. She is a US born citizen. Afterwards I applied for the work permit which I received shortly after. Unfortunately, when we got married, I was out of status just by few days. We also filed the application, but I never received my conditional green card. We lived happily together for a while and then we started to have some personal difficulties. I got a great job offer in different state, and we made a mutual decision that we would be better of me taking the job and living separate for a while. Well, we stayed like that for few years, until now. Don't ask me why, but I never thought about adjusting my status and taking care of my residency. I just renewed my work permit every year. Recently my wife called me and asked me what my plans are... so there I go? What options do I have please? I will greatly appreciate any advise. Thank you so much in advance,
    Micio
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 19, 2009, 05:08 PM

you need to find out what your immigration status is. did you go to the local district office for an interview? Did the officer indicate you were approved? If so, then you need to file an I-90 for a replacement I-551. Depending on CR or not, you may need to file the RC now. If regular, file for natz.

Get a copy of your file from your attorney or your wife. It will have you're a number on it. This will speed things up.

If you never went to the interview, you never got approved. You may have been denied for not responding. You may even be in removal/deportation proceedings in absentia. Have you been filing the form AR-11 address change?

You need to meet with an experience immigration attorney. Hope this helps, if so, rate this answer. Good luck!

Feb 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
    [QUOTE=DCcityboy;1558844]you need to find out what your immigration status is. did you go to the local district office for an interview?
    Get a copy of your file from your attorney or your wife. It will have you're a number on it. This will speed things up.

Thank you kindly for your response. But I have never went for an interview. When I enter my A number in online, the case shows as pending. They also renew my work authorization every year. Should this be a good sign? Thank you

Feb 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

Its good, but you need to follow up with a status inquiry as to why you never got the interview notice.

What you do with USCIS will depend on what you do with your marriage. If you reconcile your differences and stay married, you go to the interview and get your regular PR; or you divorce and you withdraw your application for permanent residence.

If you go to the interview, be prepared for lots of questions as to why no cohab for the last several years. Good luck!

Feb 20, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Thank you very much DCcityboy. I greatly appreciate your help. I have one more question for you please: after we moved out of our first place with my wife and I left the state, I sent a letter to immigration about my address change, but I never received any response. Then I tried to do it few more times through internet, but it is always asking me for a 13 digit # and I only have my 9 digit A #. How can I get my 13 digit # and should I still try to call them and change the address to my current one? Thank you so much. I know my case sounds like a bit mess. I greatly appreciate it.

Feb 20, 2009, 03:07 PM

If you can't do it online, download the address change form AR-11 and mail it in. keep a copy for your file!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce with conditional green card [ 3 Answers ]

HI I am married its been almost 2 years and its been 1 yrs and 2 months I am in USA. I have conditional green card of 2 years. Currently living with wife, but its been 1 month we don't have good relationship, She treats me very bad. Even I explain her, try to convince her about any issue, or ask...

Divorce before conditional green card [ 2 Answers ]

My name is Nodira and I'm from Central Asia, I've been married to my husband for 5 months now, I have my fingerprints taken and waiting for my work permit, our marriage was difficult from very beginning, I knew him for 3 years, my father's friend introduced me to him, I always thought of him as my...

Divorce after issuance of conditional green card [ 1 Answers ]

If divorce revokes the conditional green card, and all sponsorship is automatically withdrawn including the I-864, does that mean I am no longer responsible for the alien national. What about the 10 year responsibility. What if he manages to get conditions removed with the help of an attorney and...

Conditional green card [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse was granted a conditional green card which is only good for 2 years after which we were supposed to file together for the removal of conditions to secure a permanent resident status. We got divorced 6 months after the issuance of the cond. Green card. Can we remarry and file together...

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search