Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luqui80 Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 09:21 PM
    New plumbing and venting for washing machine.
    Please take a look at this design and let me know what you think. Please note that the vent and drain stack are on a perpendicular wall.

How long can the pipe with the red question mark on it be? To do this I'd need it to be about 6' including the elbow. I'm guessing I'd have to angle it down.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 10:53 PM

Drain should be 2". Use long sweep 90 , or two 45s, to clear the corner. Vent should be 1 1/2". Slope should be 1/4" per foot. Vent should be no more than 48" away from the trap. See if you can run new vent up and connect above on 2nd floor or in the attic. See enclosed drawing...
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Luqui80...

Codes differ from state to state... In Milo's area it is apparently 4 feet max. from trap to vent.

In my area it is 6 feet max. from trap to vent. Depending on where you live, I'm sure you'll be fine at 6 feet max. from vent to trap.

Only change we are suggesting is that you take the vent off and run it either up as Milo suggested or parallel to the waste stack as I have drawn below and connect the vent upstairs at about 48" off the finish floor.

If you don't connect the vent as we suggest there is a good chance that the ptrap to the washer will bubble/gurgle and could get siphoned dry when a toilet or tub from upstairs drains past the washing machine fittings...this will allow sewer gas into the home...a major no-no in plumbing...;)

I also noted some of the things Milo did, like the long sweep elbow, but I have also added a cleanout (dandy cleanout) at base of washing machine pipe and another cleanout at the ptrap to the washing machine (another code requirement). The standpipe should also be between 24" to 30" out of the ptrap.

Let us know what you think here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 17, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Hmm, I really don't want to have to run a new vent all the way to the attic so I looked around the basement and found what I think is the vent for the washer that we have now in the basement. I just can't be sure though. It is 1.5" so I would think its is a vent. Can you tell from this picture?

If it is, would this mean that I can attach a 1.5" wye to the vent and 2" on both of the other openings and use that as my drain for the washer? I've included a picture of that too. :)
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 01:47 PM

Yes, it is vent. You are lucky for all your rough-in is exposed.

I am not sure if I understand your second question correctly. Can you restate the question ?

Feb 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Oh good! I thought it would be.

So my idea is to cut the vent pipe in the wall and put in a wye that connect to the ptrap. Then the washer will drain directly down into where the vent is now, but of course I would change the entire pipe after the wye to 2" not 1.5" (that's the black line). I think this is how my kitchen sink is.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:06 PM

Re: Post #6: Right down on money !

Additionally: Install the Y - or preferably Sanitary T - as low as possible so you can put in your stand pipe that is about 36" tall. Use large sweep 90 under the concrete where pipe turns from vertical to horizontal.

Feb 17, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Will do, thanks for all your help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Try one of these

STUDORĀ® | IPS Corporation
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Hi all:

The studor vent hvac1000 is recommending may or may not be allowed in your area... would need to ask a plumbing inspector in your area.

However, since you have the 1.5" vent pipe so close I say you connect into that vent pipe... no mechanical parts to fail down the road!

Have good day...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting a washing machine through an unused furnace flue [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine and laundry tub in the basement and have no way to vent them through the ceiling and up the roof. However, nearby I have an old, unused furnace flue that goes all the way up to the roof. Of course its diameter is more than needed for venting of the washing...

Venting a washing machine properly [ 1 Answers ]

I need help venting a washing machine properly. We have just purchased a new washer and the current washer we have was never vented properly. So what happens is the water backs up in the vent pipe and also the sink which is on a T refuge pipe. Help Please. Thanks

Plumbing, washing machine drain overflows [ 1 Answers ]

When my washing machine drains, the water backs ups and overflows out of the pipe. I tried to flush out any blockage with a steady flow of water down the pipe and there was no back up or overflow. It only happens when my washing machine drains. What could be the problem?

Plumbing backup - washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding strange plumbing backup involving my washing machine and adjacent bathroom. When the washing machine or bathroom tub drains water, the toilet and sink in the same bathroom gurgle. Occasionally, soapy foam from the washing machine backs up into the toilet. If you flush...

View more questions Search