Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frankly Frank Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 06:26 PM
    Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run
    I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main jet out and everything looks clear. Sprayed some carb cleaner in and blew all holes out with air. Can't find any blockages, but alas, not too familiar with this type of carb. Don't think the float is hanging up and the needle looks great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Try's to start? Meaning it will run when dribbling gas down the carb? And the solenoid makes a faint clicking sound when the key is turned?

Aug 20, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Solenoid is definitely working. I took it off the bowl, turned the key on and it clicked and the pin retracted. The motor doesn't actually run, just tries to run. If I don't dribble gas in the carb, it just cranks and cranks. If I dribble gas in the carb, it will act like it wants to take off, but doesn't actually run. Soon as it depletes the supply of gas, it goes back to the normal cranking as if it were out of gas.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
    I'd try a new plug just in case... can you get the compression checked?

Sep 18, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Hey Briggs Dude!

Okay, here's the deal. The intake push rod (aluminum) was broken. Also found out the motor had been rebuilt before the tractor was *given* to me. Replaced the push rod and while in there, noticed one of the valve caps was missing on the intake valve... or is it missing?. heard different, some have one on each valve, some have only one on the exhaust valve. If you can clarify for me, that would be cool. Anyway, set the intake valve clearance at .005 and the exhaust at .007 after 1/4" TDC. Fired it up, ran smooth, but I managed to kill every stinking mosquito in the back yard just idling that puppy! It's smokin' like a big dog! Blue smoke. Your thoughts please (blown head gasket? Valve seal loose?). Thanks in advance and sorry for the book I just wrote.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2006, 12:39 AM
    Yeah it sounds like the head gasket (improper torque)

Believe its 220 inch pounds.

Sep 22, 2006, 10:22 AM
    BriggsDude,

Appreciate the assistance. Will let you know the outcome.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Well Problem Already Solved I See , Got Here Too Late, My Thoughts Were The Valve.
    Thanks, Mowerman2468

Apr 22, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Two Years late and my apologies! But just in case someone else is having this problem, the smoke finally cleared out about 15 minutes after running the mower (must have been oil build-up in the piston as a result of the push rod being broken) and the mower has been running great ever since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton backfires through the carby and won't run [ 8 Answers ]

My 12.5 hp B&S willnot runafter winter it is backfireing through the Carby & air filter

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton Clanks on startup [ 4 Answers ]

I have just bought a used MTD tractor with a 18.5 hp single cylinder B&S engine (the more recent one with the remote filter). On starting, when the cylinder first fires, it emits one strong metallic "thwack" and then runs normally. I does this even after it has just run, so I am sure that the...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

View more questions Search