Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelaoliver39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Bankruptcy and workmans comp settlement
    Hi my name is angela and I have to file chapter 7 while my soon to be ex hase to file chapter 13. My question is this. I have a workmans comp settlement of 15,ooo. And this is what I am living off at this time. Will the chapter 7 take my money away from me and give it the creditors. Is there a limit amount of cash I can have?
    My bankruptcy is only for the house 1st and 2nd mort and 3 credit cards, but my divorce says that the ex will not hold me liable for the credit cards. Does that mean anything to the bankruptcy.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 06:58 PM

Have you seen a bankruptcy attorney yet about this and discussed what you should do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 07:20 PM

Sorry but you can not file bankruptcy on just this debt or that debt, You have to list every debt you have. On some debts such as cars you can re-affirm those debts though the court, but you can not just pick who you want to list. So if you owe the library 10 bucks it is suppose to be listed and so on.

You are limited by state law how much cash you can keep and after that amount the rest will be taken by the court.

Pease set down with a local attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workmans comp [ 11 Answers ]

I was recently hurt on the job and suffered a broken wrist resulting in about 50-60 percent loss of use of my wrist and some loss of finger motion.My question is there a compensation settlement because of any permanent damage to me. I have been with this company for 22 plus years and they have been...

Bankruptcy and workers comp settlement issue [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, first, I'm screwed. I owe the IRS 62K, plus I owe tons of creditors. I'm now at the point of being 100% disabled, will be going out in less than 2months. I live in South Carolina. I am going to file chapter 7, I believe ill pass the means test OK because my disability income will be half of...

Workmans comp [ 4 Answers ]

If I am on workmans comp. and still working but with weight restrictions am I able to get a part time job, with out messing up my claim

Workmans comp settlement [ 3 Answers ]

Does a settlement count as income? Or in other words will I have to pay taxes on it.

View more questions Search