Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Loose diamond in engagement ring
    I know I should take my ring to a jeweler, but can anyone give me a basic idea about the repairs I may need?

My engagement ring has a 4-prong setting with a princess cut diamond. The diamond has become loose over the years and I'm almost afraid to wear it.

Is this normally a "simple" repair? If not, I might not be able to have it done for a while...

Thanks!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 06:06 AM

Generally, this would not be a big deal to repair. However, I would take it to a very reputable jeweler, as the corners on a princess cut diamond could break off if the repair is attempted by a hack.

Check with the jeweler that the ring came from to see if they can do the repair (or do they send it out). My wife's ring had this problem and they fixed it for no charge, although they did have to keep it for a few days (which she wasn't wild about). They told us that for a princess cut repair the jeweler wanted all the doors locked and complete quiet to work on it, so it sounds like delicate work.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    Survivor

Jan 29, 2009, 08:48 AM

Thank you for the tip!

I was concerned about the princess cut being a problem, so I appreciate you confirming this. :)
    Yellow_montu Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
    I work for a jewellers, The cut of the diamond shouldn't matter if the claws are coming loose, a diamond is so hard trust me the corners won't break off. If any damage was to occur the only damage you'd be looking at would be a possible crack (one in a million chance, although don't quote me :P) the only other damage you could get would be to the shank of the ring as doing claw work is very fiddly and the ring has to be held in a clamp and if the clamp is too tight it can leave marks or if its gold, if the gold is of poor quality (air bubbles in it). The risk you run for leaving a solitaire with loose claws on it, especially with only 4 claws and not 6 is that if there is a gap between the diamond and the claws even minor you're at risk of snagging it on something, then you can loose the diamond or damage the claw so it cand be tipped and would have to be a replacement. Claw tipping can be fairly expensive itself just not as bad as a full replacement then there is the worry of are the metals the same quality if its gold for example. So word from the wise, get it sorted asap because the longer you leave it the more it could potentially cost you. Hope this helps as well x
    briolette Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

Feb 14, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Hello... I have to respectfully disagree with the poster who states that the stone cannot be broken - it absolutely can be. Yes, diamonds are indeed very hard, but they are separated along cleavage planes, which are weaker bonds in their structure. In fact, that's the only way to facet them - they're actually cleaved not cut. If you hit that stone just the right way - or the wrong way in this case - you can either chip or fracture it big time.

We always advised people to remove their rings when they were hand washing dishes, because we had seen one too many in our day that had smacked their hand up against a sink or faucet and chipped their diamonds.

So, make no mistake about it, you can chip, crack or fracture a diamond easier than most people seem to realize. Therefore, I second the advice from the other poster that you insist on a reputable jeweler tightening your prongs. Any cut of diamond will be vunerable in the wrong hands.

Moreover, whether you wear your ring regularly or not, you should have the prongs checked about once a year by an established jeweler, preferably, by the one you bought it from. Whomever you purchased from will likely do it free of charge... lol, so that they can harass you about trading up to a bigger one.

Good Luck... briolette
    Yellow_montu Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 07:00 PM

As I said in my post if you had read it correctly was that the corners will not break off from the claws being loose, obviously if you have some person hacking away at the claws (assuming that you don't take it to a reputable jewellers) then any amount of damage can be done to the stone but again normally only if there is already some damage like a hairline crack or if they really go hell for leather at it. Yes it is possible to chip a diamond as well if you knock it at the wrong angle, I never stated it was not. Another good tip for removing your rings when your washing up or doing any kind of house work, whether your claw work is damaged or not is that dirt can get under the stone and push it up out of the setting. LearningAsIGo, I hope you have managed to get it fixed.
    Survivor

Feb 16, 2009, 11:44 AM

I appreciate both of your comments.

I have always been careful, removing it for showers, chores, even applying hand lotion...

Unfortunately, I have to wait on repairs for now, but I will refrain from wearing it until then. Thanks again! :)

Feb 16, 2009, 01:11 PM
    LearningAsYouGo... have you inquired with any local jewelers as to the actual cost of having your prongs tightened? I have been out of touch for a while, but as I recall, it didn't cost very much at all. I''d be shocked if it exceeded $25.
    Survivor

Feb 27, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by briolette View Post
    LearningAsYouGo...have you inquired with any local jewelers as to the actual cost of having your prongs tightened? I have been out of touch for a while, but as I recall, it didn't cost very much at all. I''d be shocked if it exceeded $25.
    Really? Well, I'm glad it must not be that expensive after all! :)
    I will inquire soon... the jeweler where it was originally purchased is not close to home now and I had been discouraged with the prospect of paying more to go to another shop. Thank you again -- I will look into it! :D

Feb 27, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Really? Well, I'm glad it must not be that expensive after all! :)
    Yes, really. And, the best-case-scenario would be for you to find an actual jeweler - someone who does benchwork him or herself - who sets stones and makes jewelry. Jewelry Stores are in the business of selling you jewelry, not making or repairing it. Consequently, they will often sub-contract that type of repair work out, which means you're paying for it twice (they pay the contractor, then add their premium on top of it).

Take your time and see if you can find an actual jeweler, or at the very least, a jewelry store that staffs one. Talk to people that you trust to see if you can get any recommendations on reputable dealers.

Most of all, take your time and do your homework. You have something of value here that requires it.
    Jzags Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 07:16 AM

Be very careful. The Princess cut Diamond has very pointed corners,they can be broken very easily your choice of jeweler will be important, without seeing your existing crown that holds your Diamond I would suggest that you ask for a new crown and set as the original. The good jewelers will know how to correctly set your princess cut. They will drill small cup holes into the prongs while setting to protect the diamond from breaking. Also be sure that the Jeweler has insurance to cover any losses that may occur while working on your diamond.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 04:39 AM
    Generally what happens is due to wear and tear over the years, the 4 prongs or 6 prongs of a diamond ring tends to loosen up or at times some prongs may even become brittle.

In that case the jeweler needs to examine the ring to see if the prongs are just loosened then it can be tightened which is a simple repair. However if prongs are brittle & weak then rebuilding of prongs would be required. This will cost little more.
    Mandarina Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Hello, my name is Deana and I have an issue with my ring as well. I have a princess stone with 4 prongs holding it. It became loose already 3 times and this time I brought it to the store and they told me that this time the prongs have to reinforced. I don't think this is suppose to happen so often. What do I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

How to get the best money for a diamond/platnimum ring? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband gave me a radiant diamond engagement ring about 1.28 carats set in platinum with custom engraving. I also have a wedding band that is a half eternity band with about 1.3 carats of diamonds. I'm trying to sell my rings in order to have a custom ring made. How should I go about selling...

Which diamond ring should I buy? [ 3 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Diamond ring [ 3 Answers ]

Does a diamond ring always have prongs holding the diamond in? Thanks p

View more questions Search